Hybrid View

Smile Bees arrived and the TEST is on!

My bees arrived. I got my very first bees, a nuc of Russians. Boy are they dark little beauties! Some almost all black! And despite the rumor that I heard that they were more aggressive than Italians, they were delightfully well mannered, not stinging and allowing this clumsy newbeek to feel right at home almost immediately. I think I'm in love!

Now for the test. I put them in the suspended nuc box under the tbh. I want to post a picture, but can't figure it out.

With any luck they will move up and start building and when Queen starts laying up there I will yank the box and put in a floor and WA LA!
    TBH!

There was only one scary moment where we could not find Queen anywhere and it turns out she was in the pile of left over bees on the bottom of the old nuc. YIKES! We scooped her up and put her in. I hope she's ok!!!!

Gotta say, I think this Newbeek is HOOKED!

Default Re: Bees arrived and the TEST is on!

Yep thats called being addicted, you have Bee Fever!!!...

The test is not going so great. The girls are still content in their nuc. They are building bur comb on the top and bottom of the old frames. I took two of the burr combs (small) and attached them to the top bars. Then I realized that right side up was upside down on the top bar.

They sure do hang out a lot. The sourwood are in fresh bloom, and there is not a heck of a lot of foraging that I can tell. They have "happy hour" between 4:00 and 5:30 when everyone is out front hovering and flying about in great zig zags.... Then they go inside and their activity returns to normal.

I have only seen ONE BEE carrying pollen, yet I have flowers full of pollen right now. (I have spent an unhealthy amount of time watching these girls.)
    I guess it is time to go back into the nuc and do a look about? They have gone through a Qt. of 2:1 sugar water in two days!

I hope all is going well, but with nothing to go by, it is hard to tell!

Contrary to popular belief, bees work down, not up...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

NOW you tell me

I read one post about trying this method from the top and the bees didn't move down and someone posted that bees move UP... so I tried it in reverse. It may be that chop and crop is just the way to go. W'ell see.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2010 at 07:07 AM.

uhmm Laruen, they do move from the top down. Every cutout i have done has the comb attached to the top of a tree or wall and they build it down.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2010 at 07:07 AM.