Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Cotton rope and Mineral Oil

Nope, haven't.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

sqkcrk - I didn't think you were. (I still can't believe Barry didn't pull my last post as being off topic - my example got long winded).

Obviously if I tell someone to do something harmful I'm partially responsible (the person still has to be mostly responsibile for acting on it). So yeah - we need to be careful what we say (God tells us that).

I know what your saying. A lot of things now even carry labels saying it is illegal to use it in any other manner than that directed.
    I just think that if a product known not to be harmful then you can try it if you want -that doesn't mean it will have any real benefits (while I don't like the chemicals are thrown around I also realize that a lot of the "natural" ideas do not perform as advertised ). Of course non-harmful sometimes just means a certain threshold of "harmful" is acceptable.

We pump smoke into the hives all the time, we feed sugar (not a natural bee feed), foundation is known to have some traces of chemicals, wood I'm sure isn't pure either, we also paint the hives. So we do put a lot of stuff in the hives that we simply accept as harmless (or at least most do).

Mike

P.S. - Barry: There seems to be some new smiley in there

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Welcome aboard Rick. You seem to have fit right in. Be sure to go through the steps to be able to enter tailgater and you can really let loose.

I was asking a real and serious question. There is nothing wrong w/ using a particular material if you are using it responsibly. But, if you or anyone else is promoting the use of a product in an irresponsible way, I believe that that is illegal and may even be actionable. I don't know if this use of mineral oil falls into this category. I would like to know. I certainly don't have all the answers.

Maybe before you start slinging mud you should spend some time getting to know who you are about to sling mud at. Seems to me that since I have been here almost infinitly longer than you thatI deserve some level of respect, if not me then the questions that I ask.

Good by to you sir,
    Mark
    Mark,
    My sincerest apology to you sir. My disdain was directed at the previous posts reference to "magnets" and the like. In the future I will allow the moderator to do decide. Thankyou for your response. rick

My wife swallowed about 1/2 cup of mineral oil to induce labor at her doctors direction. It worked as well as made her very regular for a short period. She said it wasn't a very pleasant experience. I doubt there is any way you could get enough in the honey that it would be edible in high concentrations.

So this cotton mop string/mineral oil idea seems to have similar intended purpose as Crisco grease patties, right?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

After sifting through this,,,,,,,,,,,my inexperienced opinion,,,,,,,,,same thing, different delivery system. what you think will work for you.
    Rick

Not sure what you mean. Grease patties (as I understood it) masked the scent or something about the bees and confused trac. mites.
    I do not know if the idea behind this is to confuse varroa or not? Is it supposed to confuse them or kill them?

Mike

The one thing that may or may not be relavent about the copper rings is, depending on the batch, there is sometimes trace amounts of arsenic in it, which have been used in pesticides for a number of years thus meaning that it could add a poison to the hive... In the process, it takes quite a while for arsenic to break down depending on the structure of the arsenic molecule.

just my 2 cents worth of info that my have some relevance to using that in a beehive.

MikeJ,
    Not that I know a lot about any of it, but what I've read is this theory: the action of Crisco: the bees eat it and the grease somehow suffocates or dislodges tracheal mites. Also the bees get it on themselves while eating/walking over it, and then they aggressively groom themselves and dislodge some mites, and also that the grease makes it harder for the mites to keep hold on the bees' hairs. Also that if you add wintergreen or thyme oil to the patties it repels the varroa mites. (maybe that's what they meant by masking a scent?) I would imagine FGMO does some of the same things Crisco does. All this is various stuff I've read from various sources, I don't know if it works. But I am feeding my bees small patties of Crisco mixed with sugar, honey, wintergreen, lemongrass and thyme oils. They seem to enjoy eating them, and I'm not going to use formic acid or other mite preparations. i also will be pulling some drone frames periodically to knock out mites. We'll see how my bees do come Fall.
    The cotton-mop-rope/mineral oil thing is an interesting idea. But i kind of enjoy making my girls little minty crisco patties. And it's cute to see them lined up all around the patty that's laid atop the frames on a paper square, eating daintily in a circle like kittens around a saucer of milk.

Omie,
    That's pretty much my understanding as well. I put my mix in a "jerky Gun." I use the meat stick tip and run a bead across the hive entrance in such a position that the bees have to come in contact with it to leave or enter the hive. This includes the young hive bees that go on orientation flights hopefully. My thinking is that it physically gets on more bees this way and they still feed on it too. Assuming it works by making the bee/mite relationship slippery, would or could mites fall off bees leaving the hive, or keep mites off foragers???
    rick So Md

Interesting idea there Rick. What about shb? Or are they not a problem where you are? I bet it doesn't last too long in the MD heat and humidity.

Oh how I miss those MD muggy summer nights w/out air conditioning.

Hey Mark,
    As they say, even blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while
    I have not seen any SHB in my 3 hives at my house but I have only had them a short time. The 5 in St Marys Co. have had them. We used "Miteaway" for them but do not plan to go that route anymore. I have been using the Crisco w/ wintergreen in those but the jury is still out.
    AAAAhhhh the hot muggy days of summer. We had air conditioning when I grew up,,,,,but it was Mom and Dads' room
    Rick Fisher

not one scientific reference or article here, a lot of "I think"ing going on. how do I say this nicely.

if a rope of mineral oil worked at all, don't you think after twenty years of massive losses to varroa mites that thousands of commercial and sideliner beekeepers would be using it?

in my view this idea is a complete waste of time.

put a drone comb in your hive or use the powered sugar dump if you want a non chem method of controlling varroa that has a large body of science behind it showing that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Dingler View Post
    not one scientific reference or article here, a lot of "I think"ing going on....
    in my view this idea is a complete waste of time.
    put a drone comb in your hive or use the powered sugar dump if you want a non chem method of controlling varroa that has a large body of science behind it showing that it works.
    That's fine Bud. Of course everyone has their own views of what beekeeping practices are a waste of time, safe, effective, or harmful. What's considered good practice today might well be considered poor practice 50 years from now. Folk remedies have often been proven effective after being dismissed for decades as unscientific and unsound.

I use a drone frame to help with varroa control and monitoring. I might use powdered sugar 'dump' if I get a drone pupae check that shows an increase in mites. Or not. I like the theory and practice of using wintergreen type grease patties, so I may continue that too as long as my bees seem to be thriving. Personally, I don't think I'll be putting any cotton strings with mineral oil in my hives, though it's an interesting idea and theory.

Omie,
    I don't see me putting cotton rope in a IPM either. "Out of the box" ideas catch my attention and i like to look at them, possibly persue them if they have merit, or dismiss them if not. I don't see this one but at one time it may have been the "Hot Lick" till the "Crisco and wintergreen Nut" came along
    Still don't see the magnet thing.
    Rick Fisher SoMd

not one scientific reference or article here...
    Good let's keep so much of that bad information out of this. "Scientific" studies usually are so flawed they change very often.

I much rather pay attention to someone who has years experience working the bees, who says something will work - not that it actually may, but it is a better chance.

in my view this idea is a complete waste of time....
    That is fine. We aren't talking about something important like God here so that view on this subject is completely acceptable.

put a drone comb in your hive or use the powered sugar dump ... that has a large body of science behind it showing that it works.
    Sugar drops have the "scientific community" behind it? Examine who you trust before you trust them

Mike

Default Blue Shop Towels

Many if not most of these recipes work as long as they are applied with BLUE SHOP TOWELS, like you get at the auto parts store. This is very important for efficacy.

Default Re: Blue Shop Towels

What if you just threw BLUE SHOP TOWELS in your hives, would that be effective against mites?

Hey Rick, who you calling a blind squirrel? I ain't blind.

Mark, all indications are that they need to be SOAKED in something first, not just the towel alone.

Have you checked the national sales data for BLUE SHOP TOWEL Corp. lately? Very interesting.

Rick 1456
    You might be interested in what is called tracking strips that are placed in the entrance so the bees have to walk through the "stuff"
    Some people used plexiglass to smear the "stuff" over the strip and it can be re-used.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast