Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Just started this spring with 2 colonies, within 2 months I have 5. Never thought I would find it so interesting. I have gotten so much from this site already ,hope to give back someday. One question,have a hive thats capping black. Should I worry? Thanks

Default Re: Hello

Hi, & welcome.
    Interesting question. I've been reading on here a few years, & haven't heard that one yet.
    Dan

I assume you mean the honey or stores. Black brood is a sign of impending doom. Brood cappings should be paper brown. Bees reuse wax as much as they can since it is labor-intensive to make.

Yes this frame was honey stores. So this is because the bees were reusing the wax. This is a just started hive with 5 frames of drawn comb and 5 with just foundation.

Very nice, you must be doing something right! The dark color is from propolis mixed with beeswax scales. The propolis strengthens the wax and provides anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-bad stuff properties.

You might also be seeing a black honey under the caps, like buckwheat honey.
    Dan