Thread: TBH shake outs?

Default TBH shake outs?

I was viewing Anarchy beekeeping when he made a statement about shaking the bees out of the hive into another hive and doing it for 7 generations. His reasoning was that each time they built smaller and smaller comb. Well, that sounds good, but I have some reservations about disturbing them much. I mean you could do at least 4 shakeouts in one season. Seems a bit excessive to me, but I might be wrong. What do you guys and gals think?

Default Re: TBH shake outs?

Why not go the way to let them swarm and the second time they swarm you do the shakeout 10 days after when there is no brood and the queen is mated....
    Sig

(what is a shake out?)

This is where you take the top bar with the comb that has the queen on it and move it to another hive body. Then you take 2 more combs with all of their bees and literally shake them into the new hive body. The other 2 combs go back to the old hive.

i call what cozybldr described a queen right split. i don't automaticly take the comb with the queen on it though it's a bit quicker. i take the queen and shakes of bees and sealed ready to hatch brood. this leaves the eggs and youngest brood with the bulk of the bees to feed and make a new queen and the new split with no work but comb building and reinforcements emerging. if you don't gives stores or have a flow feed.
    all that is gold does not glitter