Hybrid View

Default Ideal Top Bar width?

Hi all, I just finished my first KTBH with the help of my father. He is quite a builder and tends to run away with the project. Usually that is GREAT! But on the TBH he decided that it would be alot faster and easier if he made all of the bars 1 1/2 " wide. They do have the triangular guide.

I am wondering if I need to cut these down before my bees arrive this weekend. What is the optimum size?

Thanks! Lauren

Default Re: Ideal Top Bar width?

1-1/2" is fine for the honey end but the broodnest needs to be 1-1/4
    some people cut all their bars the same and use 1/4" spacers, some cut them all 1-3/8", I think you will have trouble in your broodnest at 1-1/2" they tend to build off center to get the spacing down to 1-1/4.
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

I would cut off the extra 1/8" from at least the first 1/3 of the hive.

Thanks guys! I will cut 1/3 down to 1 1/4.

If you make your bars larger than 1 1/4" for the brood area, the bees will most likely build 2 combs on each bar. I attempted to use all the same bar size for the brood and honey and the best advice out there is use smaller bars for brood and the larger bars for honey.

I am in the process of adding 1-1/4" bars into my brood areas. I started one hive with the 1-1/4" bars and the bees have built the best on these bars compared to the 1-3/8 bars I have in my other hives. For the most part the 1-3/8" bars have comb being built ok, but I find that when the bees get of bit off, they build 2 combs side-by-side on one bar. I tried to make things simple but made things more complicated by trying to use 1-3/8" bars for everything.

I have 2 hives with only 1 3/8". One hive has 13 bars drawn and the other 15 bars. All are great so far. I guess we'll see with the remaining bars. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible since I am known for overcomplicating things. If I have issues I change at that point. Alot of beeks stick with
    1 3/8ths for everything.

Mike