Thread: hive beetles

Default hive beetles

how many is too many?

yesterday I decided to go thru my hive...2 supers..I had added a strong cutout to a weak cutout I had had for about 3 weeks..after the newspaper combine, I took the bottom board out to clean all the newspaper debis away and noticed a few SHBs under the material....yesterday I looked at all the frames doing a check and saw beetles again...3 were running around on a frame i pulled. there were on the edge strips where the bees don't have wax yet...the bees would chase them across the wood. the beetle would run around to the other side, and another bee would take up the chase...the bes wouldn't follow them from one side to the other...

also on the screened bottom board, I noticed a few bees balled up in the corner...maybe 10 or so...i brushed them away only to discover a pile of SHBs bunched up into the corner....the bees seemed to have them trapped..maybe they were trying to overheat them, i don't know....

I killed as many as I could, but i feel like i'm probably doing litttle damage to the overall problem...

OH, also, on one of the frames I set down while doing an inspection, i noticed a cluster of bees around a new bee...small grey and fuzzy i looked closer and the little one was on top of a SHB...I guess they're teaching them young!
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert. Use caution

Default Re: hive beetles

Get some traps on there. The small ones will suffice if you do not want to put a sbb with oil tray under them.

The worst part is our bees feed their beetle prisoners - www.orsba.org/htdocs/download/SHB.pdf

One beetle can lay a lot of eggs - and the eggs/larva are the real problem. You need to do something - or several things.

Interesting article linked to by Americasbeekeeper. Mentioned in the article is the idea that hive inspections by beekeepers may actually cause the release of beetles being held captive by the bees. Gee, imagine that.

Just one more example of how humans "help" the bees to survive.

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com

Quote Originally Posted by beez2010 View Post
    Interesting article linked to by Americasbeekeeper. Mentioned in the article is the idea that hive inspections by beekeepers may actually cause the release of beetles being held captive by the bees. Gee, imagine that. [/url]
    but if you dont inspect and catch that weak hive, failing queen, mite problems, or disease then the beetles you didnt know were there because you were not inspecting take over and kill the hive or they abscond leaving the beetles to create a wonderfull smelly mess...kind of a "catch 22" darned if ya dont, chastised if ya do...apparently
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I wasn't chastising anyone. Simply stating that the bees can take care of themselves. Not all of the time....but most of the time, and probably have better success rates if left alone. It's not just my opinion, many scientific studies of bee maladies indicate that problems in bee hives are likely worsened by the management provided by beekeepers. Many very successful beekeepers have known this throughout history.

I could go on and on.....but I don't want to continue to muddy up this thread, so I will

I found two SHBs in my new hive (added bees last Saturday) and killed them, then went to do my first real inspection today and found about 15 beetles! They were being corralled by my girls in a gouge in the wood. 5 of my little russian girls were surrounding them. I crushed a bunch with the hive tool. 4 or 5 escaped. The bees tackled them! some falling to the hive floor with the beetles in their grasp! I squished the ones I could and continued looking for my (still) missing queen.
    When I turned back, they had 3 beetles back in jail!!!

All in all I crushed all but two of them that I saw. I have no doubt that those two are back in the slammer. From now on, i will definitely add a gouge to my hives. All of those bees seemed to know where the beetle jail was!

Good bees! I inspect on days besides what I teach just so I can slow down and watch them chase beetles. As soon as they can train bees not to feed their prisoners we will be better off.