Default Kelly Swarm Harvester

Over the past four or five months I have had numerous requests about how the Kelly Swarm Harvester works, some even doubting that it does. (See Equipment/Hardware Forum, February and March 2010) I currently have traps on three trees, and have taken five starts so far, ranging from approx three pounds at the Horse Cave tree, to the first one at Ridenour's which was about seven or eight pounds. I am attempting to place some photos of the traps in progress.
    These photos are of the Horse Cave tree.
    2161 shows the transition attached to the tree
    2150 trap attached to ltree
    2153 drawn comb placed in trap
    2153 comb with brood.

This trap was my first for this year. After placing the comb with brood in the trap, it took a day and a half to get three pounds of bees on the combs.

I moved that trap, placed another trap on the tree, and in nine days took about four pounds of bees for my next start. The trap is back on the tree now, and should have another start in a couple of weeks. The people want the bees eliminated but they didn't want them killed.

The trap at Luther Ridenhours, ( first trapping) had about seven or eight pounds in it, and I am going tonight to collect the second trap from it. Yesterday it had at least five pounds in it.

Hope the photos come through. If any of you are ever in the Park City Kentucky/Mammoth Cave area, call me, and I will be glad to show you these traps and how they work. They are great for getting starts or eliminating bees from areas where they are not wanted.

cchoganjr

Default Re: Kelly Swarm Harvester

Oh, how I would love to see photos and learn more but the photos didn't link up correctly.

Can you try again?

Default Re: Kelly Swarm Harvester

I will work on it and try to attach them tomorrow. I think they have to be a PDF file and I tried sending them in JPEG.

I have a complete set of instructions, with color photos of each step, if anyone would like a copy, send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you. They are in PDF format. Three pages.

My e-mail is cchoganjr@scrtc.com.