Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

cut out help

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FishmanMike 
#1 ·
started a cut out on an abandoned house. hive turned out way bigger than anticipated. started between wall joists and travels horizontally through the floor joists. I could not finish before dark. going back in the morning. I have brood comb in the new hive and still more to cut out. will the brood comb in the new hive be ok still in the morning or will it be chilled?

#5 ·
If you still have a good bit of brood (enough to fill your set up with) you could either replace the previous stuff or leave it, IF you have a ton of bees to add to the set up. If lots of bees and they are strong, they will clean house.

...JP

#4 ·
Overnight, I have noticed that several of the larva will come out of the cells and die. I don't know what happens to the capped larva who are in the pupating stage.

Give all of the comb back to the bees. Dead larva are hauled out of the new hive. I presume that they will do the same with the larva that die and have already been capped over.

I will tell you this, I learned the hard way, if you capture a cutout like this and just put them on foundation, they will abscond on you.

Be sure to give them brood comb and they will stay. That has been my experience.

#9 ·
I will tell you this, I learned the hard way, if you capture a cutout like this and just put them on foundation, they will abscond on you.

Be sure to give them brood comb and they will stay. That has been my experience.
I routinely put cutouts on foundation with no problem. In fact, I hardly use the cutout comb anymore because SHB is so bad in feral colonies here in Fla., and few of them will maintain the comb. I end up having to remove it from the box anyway.

#6 ·
went sunday morning and cut the rest of the comb out. sweatin so bad the bees were stinging right through the suit. so I left to go build a bee vacuum. got it built started feelin real bad, didn't make it back sunday. rained yesterday. went today to get them sucked out and they had moved into my hive:thumbsup: had some comb layin in the bottom of the tbh that had some white larvae crawlin around? what might they bee?

#11 ·
d id a cut out a month ago, so many bees they would not go in a deep and a medium. Left the lid cocked to let them move down into the hive,went back 3 days later and put the lid on,went back 3days later to check on them pulled the sliding drawer out and was sick to see piles of wax and shb larva everywhere. Would not move them after what i saw,just left them there and went by every few days and killed beteles and larva. After a month they cleaned up the beatles and attached the comb and i took them home. I will never leave a lid loose on a cut out again.Wonted to give the qween a chance to join the party,guess she did because I had loads of brood when I checked them.They are on sourwood now making honey. :thumbsup: Live and learn the heard way.:applause:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.