Thread: Uncapping Plane

Default Uncapping Plane

I recently took the plunge and decided to move away from comb honey production and bought a large extractor (Maxant) for medium super extraction. The uncapping plane that I also bought works for a few frames and then develops a char. Also, it frequently mangles the comb more than the uncapping fork (German made, plastic handle). Am I using my uncapping plane wrong? Should I have bought an electric knife? I only have 13 hive that produced about 28 lbs (crush and strain, comb) a piece in years past. I suppose I could just use the uncapping fork, but this seems foolish.

Default Re: Uncapping Plane

Something seems amiss. Perhaps you have it adjusted too deeply. You could also cool it off some, say every other frame, dipped in water.

...JP

Make sure it's hot and keep it hot. Let it sit for a few seconds to reheat if it starts to drag and damage comb. I like the plane so much I recommend it to everyone. Lay your frames flat on a uncapping tub or similar set-up. Make sure the gap between blade and guide isn't too great, heat it up and gently draw it over. I lay them flat for ease of working the frames. I am much faster with it than a knife and dig in far less, doing less damage to comb than I did with the knife.

Thanks. I will re-adjust the depth setting. By flat, do you mean horizontal or vertical?

I found that if I go too fast it will drag some comb away with it. When I go a little slower it works much better