Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A how to dip Beehives Video

Maybe, but I would hate to say yes for sure. That's a tough one. If you put a hive body in only for a few minutes they will come out with a thicker coating, were as a ten minute bath is almost unnoticable. I would use tite bond 3 glue to seal up the joints and then dip the feeders. You can see in the videos I put the glue on heavy in the corners and actually paint the corners with a brush with the glue. I let them all dry for at least 3 days then dip the hive bodys. The tite bond 3 glue is the best glue you can buy. Do a search on the forum, a lot of people like it.
    Good Luck Bruce

Hmmm... ok. Actually kind of tempted to try both scenarios... boil it for an extended period, then let it cool, them dip for a few seconds (like dipping a taper candle) to build up a coating.

I'm wanting to build one anyways... I've got plans... and they involve a bunch of equipment like bottom boards...

Great videos. I have thought on doing this but I didnt know anyone locally to show me how. What are the dimensions on your tank ? Thanks

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

Default question about burner

i'm thinking of building one of these since i have a welder and the materials handy. I have a question about the burner. I like how you have the bottom bricked up to focus the heat to the tank, but does that cause your propane line any problems? my burner has a rubber propane line. Is yours copper or...?? just seems like there has to be a lot of heat coming out the hole in the bricks where the line goes in.
    -M@

I had a tank made of aluminum at work with one inch extra outside of the boxes. I heat it on a recycled electric top to prevent any fires. I build a wood box 2 inches smaller then the interior of the hives and placed it in the aluminum tank filled with bricks to reduce the quantity of parafin needed.
    Prior to wax dipping I salt the boxes for 3 days and dry for 7.
    I add to the edge of the box 2 drywall screws to use as handles when I take them out.

Default Re: question about burner

That's a good question Black Creek.
    I never really thought about it before. It's steel braided on the outside but I'm sure it's rubber underneath. It doesn't seem like a problem though. Once I get the wax & gum rosin to the right temperature I have the burner on just about as low as it will go and stay lit. The mixture really holds the heat. I have to let it sit for about 24 hours before I can move it. It's like molten lava. The center will be warm for a couple of days.
    Have a great day
    Bruce
    Last edited by Barry; 10-06-2010 at 08:56 PM.

I was also thinking about putting in a drain plug. Maybe just drill a hole and weld a large nut over the hole and use a bolt to plug it. or maybe a ball valve would be better. I was thinking that if i could drain the contents out into molds then it would all re-liquify faster later as smaller blocks.

the idea of stacking bricks inside the tank to use up less wax/rosin is an interesting one, but i was thinking about turning a super sideways and putting it inside the 1st super to get more done faster. but i may try the bricks at 1st to cut down on the initial investment.
    -M@

I did put a bung hole in the side of it at the bottom, just in case I need to drain it. You never know. When I did I can put 1 deep box all the way in. I stack a 2nd one on top of it and it will do half of it. I can do 2 mediums at once. The boxes turn out just perfect. It is almost hard to tell they have been dipped until you see the water bead up on the wood.
    Best of all it is a great way to sterlize your used boxes, or melt the wax of a used frames.

Have a great day.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Barry; 10-06-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: excessive quoting

Thanks for posting the videos Bruce! Very nice to see your set up!

What material did you use for the tank and how many BTU's is your burner?

Great video. You did not answer the question about using beeswax. Can you use beeswax to dip? Seems to me a great way to use up some dark wax.

Great video. You did not answer the question about using beeswax. Can you use beeswax to dip? Seems to me a great way to use up some dark wax.
    look here ->http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

Maybe I missed that earlier. Thanks!

Bruce do you use a weedburner to supply heat?

I also built a dipping box last year and dipped 200 boxes and 100 tops and bases. I think that the sealing of the end grain with glue is possibly wasted effort at best and could even be determental . how far does the glue soak into the grain? any impact on a corner will crack the glue film and allow water intrusion. dipping an untreated end grain will cause the wax to pull into the wood an amazing distance. if the waxed corner is impacted the wood still moves but the wax saturated wood will still not soak up water.

Is there any product out there that will suffice as a dipping "vat" ? Just trying to find something other than having one fabricated. Thanks

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

any product out there that will suffice as a dipping "vat" ?

How bout a reg 55gal steel drum turned sideways and cut
    propped up add a fire under it. If thats too much volume
    take the half lid from one side and weld it in the other
    side as a dam.
    I'm wondering if a 55 cut across the other way would be
    wide enough to fit a Hive box
    I have to go measure one

Let us know if a cut-down 55 works... I'd love to spend the money on wax instead of a welder .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Nice video and nice hives.
    I will gather my hives and be there next Saturday.
    Just kidding.
    Great job!