Hybrid View

Default A how to dip Beehives Video

Hi Everyone,
    I have been quiet lately. However yesterday I dipped a bunch of woodware and made a youtube video so it would be easy to understand the complete process. There is a part 1 video you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/user/mrneede#p/a/u/2/MNdRRNfbN7o
    Then there is a Part 2 you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/user/mrneede#p/u/3/D7N14X01xw8

I think you guys will like this. I just wanted to share it with you. It is easier to just watch the video then to write it all down.

Enjoy
    Bruce

Default Re: A how to dip Beehives Video

Thanks Bruce, excellent video. Any suggestions about where to get the wax and rosin at? Also, will beeswax work?

Thanks again
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

You can buy the gum rosin at Mann Lake.

Kentuckybee, where did you get the steel tank?

Bishop

Good video Bruce

It was a good time and it went a lot quicker than I thought it would....well for me it did. i know you had several more than me to dip. Man, I didn't realize how hot that sun got, but I got pretty crispy on my neck and face.

Thanks for sharing and let's do it again soon. I think this is THE best way to condition hives

Thanks Cameron, It was a great time. The hive bodies came out great. Should last a long time. See you again sometime.

Bruce

I had a friend make the tank up for me. Nothing to special but it has to not leak or it will catch fire. The best price on the gum rosin I found was from a place called PDM chemicals. They were almost have the cost with shipping compared to Mann Lake. The wax came from canldewic.com I think. It was the best price. It will cost you $63.00 for each 50lbs plus shipping. I think I had to buy 250 pounds and 100 lbs of gum rosin to make this work. I can't remember exactly without digging through a bunch of paperwork. I think I spent between $500 - $600 on product. I had the tank made for about $40 a good friend deal. Then a got a Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane. Around $55
    So total cost maybe $700.
    Yes I am crazy ! But I do what I like to do, and if I am going to do something I like to do it right. I could probably dip 300 more hive bodies and still not have to buy any more product. I read that it take about 28 grams per box, or 1 oz. So it really doesn't go down any when you use it. It will last a lifetime.

I hope this makes everything clear for everyone and easy to understand.

Good luck to all
    Bruce

I found PDM Chemicals. Which gum rosin did you order from them? They had 15+ types listed. Had my head spinning.

Bishop

I had to go check to be sure. I bought the Brazilian Gum Rosin Grade WW

I just called them on the phone and they had it to me with about 5 days by UPS or Fed X I can't remember. The price was great compared to Mann Lake.

Bruce do you use a weedburner to supply heat?

I also built a dipping box last year and dipped 200 boxes and 100 tops and bases. I think that the sealing of the end grain with glue is possibly wasted effort at best and could even be determental . how far does the glue soak into the grain? any impact on a corner will crack the glue film and allow water intrusion. dipping an untreated end grain will cause the wax to pull into the wood an amazing distance. if the waxed corner is impacted the wood still moves but the wax saturated wood will still not soak up water.

Is there any product out there that will suffice as a dipping "vat" ? Just trying to find something other than having one fabricated. Thanks

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

any product out there that will suffice as a dipping "vat" ?

How bout a reg 55gal steel drum turned sideways and cut
    propped up add a fire under it. If thats too much volume
    take the half lid from one side and weld it in the other
    side as a dam.
    I'm wondering if a 55 cut across the other way would be
    wide enough to fit a Hive box
    I have to go measure one

Let us know if a cut-down 55 works... I'd love to spend the money on wax instead of a welder .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO