Default My easy SBB (heavy pic load)

This is how I make my SBBs using a standard 2x4. I use 8 - 2x4s. You will get one SBB plus one extra 22 side from one. Cost about $2 (not including the # 8)

First start out with 2 pcs each. 22 and 13 1/4"

I hammer the the 2 sides (22") to the back (13 1/4") first.

The trick to making the entrance is to lay a scrap 2x4 down. Lay the other 13 1/4" on top of it. This creates a 1/2" entrance opening.

Pic of the back:

I don't have any #8 to show, but I cut it to 16" x 20" and staple it around the outside and back. At the front. Make one cut right where the 13 1/4" meets the 22" board. This allows you to staple the #8 at that point and along the front making a nice tight fit.

Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: My easy SBB (heavy pic load)

For those using a sticky board. Simply turn the rear 13 1/4" up.

Top view:

Here is a rear pic of a sticky type on top of a regular type.

Here I just drew a line to show. You can make a cut down the length of the 22" sides to make a gap to slide your sticky board in. Obviously make this cut prior to assembling the SBB.

Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

cool.

Thanks for taking the time to share your construction methods. I can see how plowing two grooves makes for an easy sticky board slot. I've been using wide aluminum flashing instead of galvanized steel in mine; cheap, easy to cut, did I mention cheap..., and it spans the width fine. With your design, a couple of sliders could be scabbed on to narrow the width (or nailed crossways) and lend the metal more support if it seems necessary. The dimensions you've given allow for the use of scrap 2x from a job site too. Most carpenters save >24" stock for nailers, and others throw it on a burn pile. I love to scavenge; did I mention cheap?

Thanks again. Paul

You could make flashing brackets easily to fit there instead of cutting the grove. I like that.

Actually I meant to pay amige to you Ross in my first post. It's looking at your site and design that I came up with mine. I don't have all the nice equipment and had to really dummy it down. You do make a sweet SBB board.

What dose SBB mean, and what is it used for. Thanks

SBB=Screened Bottom Board- Used on the bottom of the hive for ventilation and to control SHB= (Small Hive Beetles)!!

controls varroa mites even better than small hive beetles, neither falls through window screen, hence number 8 or 7 screen, 8 wires per inch