Hybrid View

Default Question about honey

I'm a new beekeeper in NC and I got a nuc on 5/9. I have one deep and I added a super about 3 weeks ago. I looked at the super today and there are plenty of bees in there but absolutely no honey. I have a queen "reducer" (cant think of the real name) in between the body and the super. The hive appears to be strong, does anybody know what might be going on??

Default Re: Question about honey

take off the queen excluder, most bees dont like to go through'em. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

First year you dont need an excluder, are you saying that the brood area doesnt have honey? if not you need to feed, if you are saying there is no extra honey that is normal they are using it to grow larger, get back in there and look around, good luck
    Bob

I agree...Take off the queen excluder.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

If you have a lot of bees above the excluder, then they are going through it easily. They probably are getting it prepared for storage of honey if they need it. In NC, most everyone runs 2 deeps as the hive body and then puts on supers above that. Two deeps makes a large brood nest and a lot of bees to bring in a lot of honey. A nuc bought on 5/9 may not build up strong enough to have extra honey this year. It's been rainy/cludy more than normal for us and they haven't been able to get out to forage as much this year. Don't be disapointed if you don't get any surplus the first year. That's normal. Think more in terms of getting them built up well to make it through winter strong enough to get a bumper crop next year. That's my take on it.

Good luck & keep us posted on what happens. Don't be shy about asking us more questions.

Thanks for your replies! I know most people in NC have two deeps, but I really don't care about having so much surplus honey, I'm not planning on selling it or anything. I am at the beach this weekend but will look into the deep on Sunday to see if there is honey in there. It's good to know that probably nothing is wrong. I belong to the local Beekeeping Club and you get so many different opinions it's hard to figure things out the first year. I was told by someone that I would get one or two supers full this year! So that's why I was concerned when I opened the super and found nothing but bees.