Hybrid View

Default Got my first swam yesterday

Hello,

Got a call about a swarm yesterday. A fellow beekeeper who did not want the swam called me to see if I would be interested in it. After a few calls back and forth about the location of the swarm, I was given an ok to go get it. Got to the location and the swarm was in a very ideal location. I was just off a bit on the location but the fellow that called in the swarm showed up soon after I arrived. He told me to walk over towards him and just take a look. Well, there it was.

This swarm was located at a retirement community in a pine tree behind some billboards.

Well, if all swarms are this easy (I know they are not)... I will take as many as I can get.

The swarm was hived about 30 minutes later in one of my top bar hives that had a package abscond from earlier.

Default Re: Got my first swam yesterday

I know a lot of beeks hate swarms but imho they are a lot of fun to watch / catch, gratz!
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

Thats a nice swarm and i really liked the high tech swarm box also..

Just think, that high tech swarm box was on its way to being recycled.

Another picture of the swarm.

Thats a much better picture!

They are still in the hive as of today. They did start to build their comb across the bars rather than down the bars. I had to cut most of it out. I have some guides and my other hives seem to follow them much better. However, these bees even built from the bottom of the hive up.

Should I leave the cut off comb in the hive so the bees can move the nectar from the comb or should I remove the cut off comb from the hive?