Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Now I have three worries. Second, I want OSU to not end up in a conference where they lose all of their confence games. Third, its going to be one or the other.
    If OSU ends up in a new Pac-16, I hardly think they'll lose all their conference games. The Pac-16 East could end up being: Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OSU, Arizona and ASU. Not much different that OSU's current situation in the Big-12.

I would have preferred to just keep the Big 12 as it was,
    I agree.

For example, Houston is a better pick than Baylor because it has over twice as many students and is in a big city for TV market purposes.
    From that viewpoint, I also agree, and I am sorry, I was attributing your 'better pick' as it related to the competitiveness of the two teams.

However, it looks like the pac10 is being consistent with my understanding of this situation. They have no invited Colorado, which means that Baylor would not get an invite.
    I think I heard on the radio yesterday that Colorado had been invited and had accepted, and that it was the first expansion of the PAC10 since Arizona and Arizona State was added. I am wondering if they really want Texas, as USC would have its hands full dominating that conference if that were to happen.

Oh well, the Big 12 was fun while it lasted.
    Yes, but I was disappointed when they broke up the Southwest Conference myself. As I can recall, didn't Utah go undefeated a few years back, even beating OU's butt [incidenty OU is probably my favorite team ever since Bud Wilkinson,Chuck Fairbanks, Barry Switzer, but alas I date myself] and then thumping Alabama in a bowl game? But, did they win a national championship? Methinks Not.

I say again this will serve to exclude all of these other teams upon the justification that they don't play as tough of a schedule. Think also TCU.

Kindest Regards
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Official Nebraska to the Big 10: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...nsion-nebraska

And Colorado to the PAC10: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...ac-10-colorado

The fat lady hasn't sang yet, but if Texas leaves the song would have ended.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Oh the fat lady has sung. Just going to take some time to figure it all out.

If this is going to happen....I like Nebraska going to the Big 10. The Big 12 Champ came can now be the National Title game. Tex/OU/Tech Plays Neb. for the Title. I like that.

Just to clarify from past post. TCU and Baylor suck IMO. (Not the schools. The football teams) TCU has only beat Baylor and Tech out of the Big 12. If I remember correctly. They got stomped by UT and OU. The years they wanted to play Big 12 teams in pre-conference games.

I do wish they could leave good enough alone....but that is asking to much.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Late breaking news tonight. Ok State, Baylor, Kansas and maybe A&M to stay in the Big 12. Ok State and KS. have news conferences setup for 10 and 2 Sunday!

ESPN REPORTS
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Just to clarify from past post. TCU and Baylor suck IMO. (Not the schools. The football teams) TCU has only beat Baylor and Tech out of the Big 12. If I remember correctly. They got stomped by UT and OU. The years they wanted to play Big 12 teams in pre-conference games.
    I thought they played a highly ranked OU team and kicked butt? I might be mistaken. I will check, oh yeah here it is 2005 OU ranked #7 got whipped by TCU 17-10. In 2008 TCU lost to Utah by 3, same year Utah [went undefeated] trounced OU and Alabama? Now Baylor, another story completely. Fact is Utah had to come back and scored in the last 48 seconds. On the last drive they were given a very controversial pass interfernce call that kept the drive alive, they were playing in Utah. My understanding is that now the good big 12 teams won't schedule games with TCU, they would play them when they thought they were push overs, but not now that they are competitive.

I think I've just been Rickrolled and Hamboned. (I wonder if Hamborned gets through the filter. If that ain't a bad word, it ought to be.)

Neither TCU or Baylor suck in football. They both have some talented athletes. TCU cleans up its conference. Baylor would be a real contender every year in conference USA. Its just that it takes so many resources to have facilities and coaches to recruit the best players to compete at the top of the power conferences over the long haul.

The Big 12 lives to see another day. Though it will still be busted up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-big12-texas

I shouldn't have said TCU and Baylor sucks. Though they kinda do. Danny I will look up the stats. Baylor is only in the Big 12 because of the Ann Richards?? I remember that from somewhere. TCU would get destroyed by most of the Big 12 teams on avg. The Big 12 has been very good to Baylor. Check out their athletic facilities. That's tv money. Put TCU in Baylor's spot and you will have the same result.

Oh and one side bar.

Jones AT&T Stadium Named Nation's Top Home-Field Advantage
    http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-fo...051110aaa.html

Bring on 9/18 and 10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Check out their athletic facilities. That's tv money.
    Actually, I reckon it's tobacco money. Most of the big building and expansion at Baylor was paid for by the Attorney's contributions who won the big tobacco lawsuit; including the new law school where I have spent many hour doing legal research. Although, I have fond memories of my time spent in the stacks of the old law school. I at least knew where everything was located in the old law school, not so in the new one.

Also, I will be looking for the Texas legislature to put a stop to these Texas teams fleeing to far-off places. The hardship on attendance by atheletes should also be considered, and is a primary consideration at Baylor.

Kindest Regards
    Danny

PS

I am a graduate of Baylor University and was also present as a student at the "I Believe" game when Baylor came back from huge half-time deficit [24-6 if I recall correctly] to defeat Texas [34-24] to win the S.W. Conference a week or so later when they defeated Rice.

Can't believe it, but this appears to be working out fairly well. My only gripe now is that OU and Texas will probably have a decided advantage money-wise. But T. Boone Pickens could donate enough to overcome that.

I do like the idea of playing all the teams every year. I never liked the north/south division set up at all. Anybody heard whether they will have a conference championship game? Seems like it would be too tempting -- all the money to be made from an OU-Texas rematch adds up quick.

Itís my understanding there wonít be a Big 12 championship game. At least if TX and OU get their way. I bet Jerry Jones will be in the mix though. Heís not going to want to loose that money. Texas really comes out good on this deal as it stands. Its own network and keeping all the proceeds!! I would like to see them replace Colorado and Nebraska. With TCU or Houston in the South and someone in the North.

Here ya go Neil. Here’s T Boone’s take on it. He cracks me up.

http://www.statesman.com/news/t-boon...12-747411.html

I heard that Texas gets to name the new conference too. Supposedly it going to be called UT and the other 9.

Mr. Pickens just reminded me that I need to check for the next opportunity I have to go boo Mizzou.

It wouldn't have worked anyway. We (Pac10) have an OSU and UO so Oklahoma would have had to have changed it's name....and then the song wouldn't have made any sense.

Does Oklahoma have a nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    Does Oklahoma have a nickname?

Yes. But I can't post it.

Here is an excellent article on what happened.
    http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094753

Actually, methinks all things considered this turned out great. With only 10 teams we won't have championship playoff between the two divisions, which often knocked the contending national championship team out of contention. Now, whoever wins the most games will be in the BCS.

Unfortunately we lost Nebraska, which has an excellent football tradition, but fortunately the Big 10 will now have to deal with this traditional football powerhouse, which of course will benefit OU and UT. Now, of course, more than likely the Winner of the Texas/OU shootout will be playing in the BCS and also have a lot better chance of national championship.

Also, we got rid of Colorado, whose football program has played little more than the part of a spoiler. Can't see how the Big 12 has lost much in losing Colorado, especially with their reputation for sexual harrassment. Obviously Colorado is the big loser, as their lackluster football program will have to pay $15 million exit penalty, as does Nebraska. That will leave less money to generate a competitive team for years to come and I bet the PAC10 is reeling from this episode, having to now share revenues from a team that will certainly not contribute anything in the near to midterm future, and in fact will probably be a millstone around the leagues neck. With the USC sanctions, I look for the league to fall on tough times for a while anyway.

Texas, OU, and Texas A&M, came out smelling like a rose by receiving the payout penalties. Texas the real winner, in that with their own TV network they will now be able to pour, by far, more money into their already competitive football program, and I am wondering who will now be able to match this throughout the nation. OU and A&M will also get a shortterm revenue boost from the exit penalties, and after that are in about the same position. U. of Texas is definitely the real winner and is now postitioned to be the dominant football program in the nation.

So much for the wreck of the Big 12. I just hope no other teams are added as this will decrease the chances of the leagues leader to play in the National Championship game by forcing them into another division championship game. Overall, I think this turned out rather well for the league.

Kindest Regards
    Danny

Putting all things in perspective, it just seems to me like the real Conference winner has to be the former Big 12 [now I guess the new Big 10]. Since all teams will play each other during the season there is no reason for division playoff. Not so in the former Big 10 [which actually had 11 teams][now I guess the new Big 12] and the former Pac 10 [new PAC 12 I suppose.

My understanding of the article in my prior post, is the the former Big 12's TV receipts will remain the same. WOW, talk about finding a pot of gold. The revenues will be divided between 10 teams now, as opposed to 12, and in addition they won't have to do a division playoff game which often knocked the national title contender from that position. At the same time, now the former Big 10 will have to contend with powerhouse Nebraska, and the PAC 10, which now has 12 teams will probably go to a division playoff system, thereby putting them in the same situation as the Big 12 was in where a late season loss could knock a highly rated team from contention for the national title.

I would appreciate any other observations about this.

Thatís pretty much the way I understand it. I havenít read every detail yet, but I thought that UT, OU, and aTm will get a larger portion than the rest. I could be wrong about that, but thought I remember reading that.

I donít mind seeing Colorado go though they do take a pretty good tv market with them. I really hate seeing Nebraska go. Going down to 10 tens and no conference championship game. If we could do it all over again. I would like to see Baylor and Iowa St. leave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast