Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Big 12 Conference

The Big 12 is about to be disassembled. Inside reports are reporting that Nebraska is going to announce Friday that they are moving to the Big 10.

Here is the basics of what is happening.

The Pac-10 administrators arrived in San Francisco this weekend to a report that the conference was ready to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor from the Big 12 to create a 16-team megaconference.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...pac-10meetings
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

If that’s true that would bring the conference to 12 teams, maybe they will finally re-name the conference, to the correct number. I have been able to count 11 teams since Penn State entered the conference years ago. You would think institutes of higher learning would be better at math.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Ha!!

In the Pac 10 where most of the Big 12 teams are expect to go. UCal is objecting to Baylor’s invitation to come due to their religious affiliation.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Okay, I'm an Ok State guy. I understand that Ok State is not necessarily the strongest pick. Despite T. Boone's ridiculous donations, and despite the fact that the football program seems to be improing, the truth is that our invite is probably connected to OU's invite to the Pac-10. Due to politics, OU and OSU are probably a package that must go together to wherever they go. I can accept that like a man. Being an OSU football fan makes you humble on a very fundamental level and builds character. That is the point of being an OSU football supporter, since there is no other reason to be one.

That being said, why in the world would the PAC-10 want Baylor over Colorado or even Kansas? This is mostly driven by football TV contracts. Wouldn't bringing in the Colorado market or the Kansas City market make more sense. Also, with Kansas, they would get a primo basketball program.

So why Baylor, which really has no business trying to even be in the Big-12 to begin with? Is is politics in Texas that Texas can't go unless they take Baylor? Sort of like "I'll go out with you, but you have to find a date for my ugly sister"?

Also, does Baylor really think that it will be able to compete in conference that consists of Pac-10 and the better programs from the Big-12 South? If I were a Baylor alum, I would be realistic about the situation and hope to end up in Conference USA.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be better to get Houston over Baylor?

Just really confused on this one. Please enlighten me.

OSU is a good team to bring along imo. So don't get yourself down. I have always been an OSU fan though.

It's all TV contracts. The Big 12 is Big but doesn't have a lot of big TV markets. Dallas, Austin, Denver, are the biggest I believe. Word is Texas is going forsure and Texas has the say who comes with them.

They won't take Kansas because this has nothing to do about basketball. Basketball's long season and so many out of conference games where they can play who they want to play, plus their money is made in the tourny. NCAA could care less about about conference when it comes to basketball.

This kinda sucks, but kinda good at the same time. What's really going to suck is some of the games won't start until 9pm our time. For the 7pm pacific coast time games.

I would like to see Houston come too. Or even TCU for a season or 2. I would like TCU to see what a real beating is all about.

I have heard that the SEC may be taking on some new teams or joining with another conference.We will see i guess.copper287

I haven't heard that copper. I'll look though. I wouldn't think the SEC would/could add anymore. They are at 16 teams as it is now I think.

USC just got a 2 year bowl ban + losing 20 scholarships. Pete Carroll (sp) is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Okay, That being said, why in the world would the PAC-10 want Baylor over Colorado or even Kansas?
    According to ESPN, Baylor isn't in the mix:
    Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

That being said, why in the world would the PAC-10 want Baylor over Colorado or even Kansas? This is mostly driven by football TV contracts.

So why Baylor, which really has no business trying to even be in the Big-12 to begin with?
    Let's see, recently Baylor has NCAA Tennis Championship, NCAA women's Basketball Championship, men's/women's NIT Basketball runnerup, men's final 8 NCAA basketball, and Baylor's men baseball have recently played final 4 of college world series and are always in the upper 5-6 teams in baseball. Track teams are always in contention for conference championship with even some olympic competititors coming from Baylor. These just come to my head and I am not even a Baylor fan. Oh, you must be a one sport college football guy. Well, yes Baylor has been down recently since the loss of their great Coach the 'religious' 'I believe' Grant Teaff, but haven't they improved recently even in football? I mean what has Colorado done? Thinking, what has Colorado excelled at, no championships in anything that I can recall. Personally, I think sports are just a training ground for pro sports. And I also think its disgusting to pay coaches approaching a million dollars per year. Trying to figure out exactly what you have against Baylor? [Incidentally baseball would be my sport of choice, but to each his own]
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Drur,

I've got nothing against Baylor. Was raised Southern Baptist, for what that is worth. This whole conference shakeup is about football, money and tv markets. Women's sports don't matter to the decision makers here. Men's basketball must not matter either, since Kansas is apparently going to be left out in the cold.

I just don't see how Baylor competes with Colorado in the categories that are the driving force here.

Neil

This whole conference shakeup is about football, money and tv markets.
    Exactly. This is 100% about money. Baylor doesn’t bring anything to the table. They have a very small following, no real conference rivalry and zero for a TV market. I personally like Baylor but I do understand why they are left out.

Yes, I agree, but just the point that I wanted to make, it is only about 'football' and not about the other sports. But it will be about a monopoly where mostly only those teams in one of these mega conferences will be considered for BCS championship, again another 'exclusive' as opposed to 'inclusive'. Justice has truly fled all aspects of this country. Just thinking, OU travels to the west coast and gets their butts whipped, and yet ends up with a better chance of playing for a championship.

It's all about the money, so I guess if that is what you ONLY consider, but personally, I like the diversity in the school sizes, religion vs. secular, etc. Look what happend to TCU [Texas Christian University], when they didn't get invited to the Big 12. Small chance of TCU ever playing for a BCS championship, yet weren't they undefeated the last couple of years, even whipping up on those large conference teams when they played them. Everything in this country, unfortunately has degraded to a political slant.

Seems to me what this is all about is 'fixing' the game even further, where ONLY those select teams which can generate large advertising 'revenues' will be able to play in these championship games. When that happens the poles and ratings [already having degenerated to this point] will have little to do about who really is the best.

All of these big conference teams will be offering basket weaving [not that I have anything against basketweaving just not in college] as a primary course of study to help many of these 'pea brained' hormoned/drugged up pitiful human specimens make the grades to run through the meat grinder.

What a degenerate generation we have become. Rome had its gladiators and so does USA. Ever wonder why the hammer of God is coming down on America?

Fourth cycle of discipline, the women and foreigners shall rule over you[upon us now].
    Fifth cycle of discipline-CAPTIVITY [not that far in the future-my guess.

Yes, I am inclined to agree that these conferences are being created only for the football revenues.

Kindest Regards
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

So why Baylor, which really has no business trying to even be in the Big-12 to begin with? Is is politics in Texas that Texas can't go unless they take Baylor? Sort of like "I'll go out with you, but you have to find a date for my ugly sister"?
    Yes, Neil it is about the politics, but outside of politics, what sense does it make to have Texas paired with the PAC 10. Should be 'regional' conferences not these political confernences.

And Baylor isn't the UGLY sister, as you will find out when this occurs, Texas will become as ugly as those West Coasts Prostitutes selling their wares to the highest bidder.

Also, does Baylor really think that it will be able to compete in conference that consists of Pac-10 and the better programs from the Big-12 South?
    Ahhh, but being competitive will have nothing to do about the decision, it will be all about MONEY, RIGHT. And I would say that Baylor does compete in most sports but I also noticed Neil that you are a 'football' fan.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be better to get Houston over Baylor?
    How so?

Just really confused on this one.
    And I am really confused about your statements in this post.

All this shuffling about won't matter anyway. The SEC will clobber you wherever you are
    Richard Martyniak, M.S. Entomologist - http://AllFloridaBeeRemoval.com

Just really confused on this one. Please enlighten me.
    Follow the money.

If I were the Emperor of College Sports I would immediately drop the fascade of "amateur" and just man up to the fact that it's a business and needs to be treated as such. Nuts to the NCAA; put it under the SEC. Sell stock to the alumni, hire the best players, distribute dividends, etc. This league shuffling is nothing more than a form of mergers and acquisitions. Legitimize it.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Blue Horseshoe loves the SEC.

//Shrugs shoulder// I just like watching OU football!!

As a side note: OU football is so big here that the only time it is legal to consume alcohol in public in Okla.....is during an OU home game.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Texas A&M may announce that they will never win another college football game.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010...o-the-big-ten/

Drur,

Except for the God's wrath part, I agree with most of what you are saying.

I would have preferred to just keep the Big 12 as it was, and I think all this stuff is just the product of greed. My comments are all geared toward trying to figure out why people were saying some things that did not jive with the greed/football is everything approach that is the driver.

For example, Houston is a better pick than Baylor because it has over twice as many students and is in a big city for TV market purposes.

However, it looks like the pac10 is being consistent with my understanding of this situation. They have no invited Colorado, which means that Baylor would not get an invite.

At this point, its obvious that the big 12 is done. Now I have three worries. First, I want OSU to not be one of the teams that gets stranded in a tier 2 conference. Second, I want OSU to not end up in a conference where they lose all of their confence games. Third, its going to be one or the other.

Oh well, the Big 12 was fun while it lasted.