Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: We Really need a good tool for transitioning from Lang to TBH

This is from a total newbie. In fact my bee don't even arrive for a week!

but for all it is worth, I am putting a bottom board in my KTBH that is interchangeable. One is a screen for summer, one a solid board for winter and one will hold a nuc box (gondola style) attached under the TBH open to the bars.

My hope is that the Nuc that is arriving next week will move up and into the TBH. they will be using the TBH entrance and I am going to cut the frame with honey and put it up there on a top bar.

I'm so new to this I am thinking it might work! Beginners luck? <sigh>
    any ideas are appreciated. i will post pictures when I can!

Lauren

who would have thought that a person could be SO EXCITED about a bee delivery? i'm trying to assure my kids that their arrival was just as exciting... http://www.beesource.com/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif

I am going to try to post pics of my (hopefully) transition from nuc to TBH.

Well, I can't figure out how to post a photo... But the girls arrived and did GREAT. They are now safely tucked into the nuc attached to the bottom of my TBH (where the screened bottom will eventually go. Now if they will just start building up above, and the queen will just move up.... I will yank the nuc put in the floor, shake off the bees and leave the frames out for them to clean out!

That does sound like a lot of ifs, doesn't it????
    Last edited by Lauren; 06-19-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: trying to add photo.

I cannot remember where I got the info from, but the easiet way to attach comb to a top bar is to buy some hardware cloth, 1 x 1 squares, cut into 6" strips. create a cradle, attach the wire with a stapler to one side of the bar, put the comb were you want it, and attach the wire to the other side. I have done this to rescue fallen comb, and for cut outs. It works well enough. Once the Bees have attached the comb, you can carefully remove the wire when you wish.

I'm in agreement with the idea of designing and building a TBH based upon HOW you wish to use it. Came to this conclusion in HIND sight, as I have a perfectly good, homemade TBH sitting empty in the barn because it's too narrow (15" @ top, 5.5" @ bottom) to take Lang frames without chop & cropping the mess out of them. (There's always the hope of a swarm ) This winter I hope to build a new TBH that will take Lang frames without modification to the frames

As to a 'good tool' for 'transitioning' I saw somewhere that folks use plastic hair clips wired to the top bar ... simple, cheap & effective assuming the comb isn't too heavy for the clip ... it's only there long enough to allow the bees to reattach the comb to the top bar ... as someone else mentioned, the bees have a 'trade secret' on that process that we shouldn't try to imitate

Peace,
    Joseph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12