Hybrid View

Default We Really need a good tool for transitioning from Lang to TBH

Chop-and-crop - I think it's a pain, and can be a real hurdle for people new to beekeeping who want to start with tbh's. Lang nuc to tbh has to be made easier, for as it is, it makes the learning curve a little steep for beginners.

Thoughts?

Adam

Default Re: We Really need a good tool for transitioning from Lang to TBH

Here are a couple of ideas.
    A. Stick w/ what you start w/.
    B. Start w/ Lang and stick w/ it. Your equipment will be able to be transfered into someone elses operation.

Why do you want to change from one to the other?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I have started with a Top bar.
    Nucs tend to come in Lang form.
    It's pretty much impossible to find packages around here.
    Nucs are preferable anyway.
    So we just need a better way of transferring one to the other.

Unless you are getting nucs on plastic foundation, why don't you just remove the bottom bar and the end bars and trim the comb to fit the tbh?

Or throw out the tbh and get some Lang equipment.

He's asking if there is a better way than 'chop and crop' to transfer Lang frame nucs into TBHs.
    It's a good question, and one that applies also to folks who want to transfer their bees into TBH if they want to phase out their Lang equipment.

My own question that directly relates to this is:
    We all know you can cut pieces of drawn comb and rubber-band them into position in a rectangular Lang frame pretty easily. So what is the equivalent method when you want to apply that piece of comb to a top bar? Do you also use rubber bands, and/or how do you keep it straight? How do you usually stick comb full of brood onto a top bar? I'm sure you'd have to do this in the case of a comb getting dislodged from its bar, which might happen for some reason.
    Wouldn't it be great if someone invented wire clips that could temporarily hold the comb in place on a top bar until the bees could reattach it firmly? Meanwhile, do people use bendable wire to do this, since it would hold the comb upright better than rubber bands could.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

i've thought about taking a top bar, splitting it in half, drilling about 6 holes in each half right across from one another and using romex(soft copper wire) to hold the comb in...the wire in the middle sections longer and getting shorter as you get near the wall(just like the comb comforms) I need to try one and get some pics loaded...night try it tomorrow
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert. Use caution

Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if someone invented wire clips that could temporarily hold the comb in place on a top bar until the bees could reattach it firmly?
    How about if you took a three ring binder and removed the outside and used the three rings to suspend the comb?

Or how about two slats of wood that you could sandwich the comb between, hanging the comb that way?

Could you hot wax brood comb to a top bar?

Lightbulb Re: We Really need a good tool for transitioning from Lang to TBH

Chopping things up should be a last resort. I've got two suggestions:

1) Put your nuc on top of the bars with one bar missing. When they are ready to grow, they will build down onto the bars below. Once they are well established, remove the nuc. (Do I need to say make sure the queen is down below in the process?)

2) Mount a nuc box to the end of the hive with a temp access hole between the two, then remove the nuc. Again, be sensitive to your hives' strength and the current brood position, etc.

I am going to try to post pics of my (hopefully) transition from nuc to TBH.

Well, I can't figure out how to post a photo... But the girls arrived and did GREAT. They are now safely tucked into the nuc attached to the bottom of my TBH (where the screened bottom will eventually go. Now if they will just start building up above, and the queen will just move up.... I will yank the nuc put in the floor, shake off the bees and leave the frames out for them to clean out!

That does sound like a lot of ifs, doesn't it????
    Last edited by Lauren; 06-19-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: trying to add photo.

I cannot remember where I got the info from, but the easiet way to attach comb to a top bar is to buy some hardware cloth, 1 x 1 squares, cut into 6" strips. create a cradle, attach the wire with a stapler to one side of the bar, put the comb were you want it, and attach the wire to the other side. I have done this to rescue fallen comb, and for cut outs. It works well enough. Once the Bees have attached the comb, you can carefully remove the wire when you wish.

I'm in agreement with the idea of designing and building a TBH based upon HOW you wish to use it. Came to this conclusion in HIND sight, as I have a perfectly good, homemade TBH sitting empty in the barn because it's too narrow (15" @ top, 5.5" @ bottom) to take Lang frames without chop & cropping the mess out of them. (There's always the hope of a swarm ) This winter I hope to build a new TBH that will take Lang frames without modification to the frames

As to a 'good tool' for 'transitioning' I saw somewhere that folks use plastic hair clips wired to the top bar ... simple, cheap & effective assuming the comb isn't too heavy for the clip ... it's only there long enough to allow the bees to reattach the comb to the top bar ... as someone else mentioned, the bees have a 'trade secret' on that process that we shouldn't try to imitate

Peace,
    Joseph