So against my beter judgement i was working with my hive in shorts. (stupid yes i know... Its a long story ). I was stung a few times, twice in the left pinkie knuckle, once on the left wrist, once on the right wrist, once on the right forearm, and twice on the left shin just above my ankle. The only ones that hurt especially bad were on my ankle/shin. I scraped the stingers out with my credit card as best i could. I didn't feel any ill effects until about 8 hours later when I woke up with horrible pain in my left leg where i had been stung. It felt like someone had kicked me in the shin with a steel toe boot. Within 3 hours the pain had migrated up to my left hip where my leg attaches to my body. It felt like i had broken my ankle and couldnt put any weight on it. I had to go to the ER and get an Epi-shot and a few other meds. I asked if i was allergic to bee stings and was told that i was NOT, and it was only a "reaction to the stings". Ok so my question is what the heck happened? What's the difference between being allergic to beestings and just having a reaction? Long story short it was one of the most painful things i have experienced in my life and i'm wondering if i'm allergic to it or not. Has anyone else experienced this before or have any insight?
I can tell ya, I will NEVER go to the hive with shorts on again. I definitely learned my lesson.