Hybrid View

Default Robbo's Bees - Photo Blog

I'd like to update a thread weekly or fortnightly on whats going on @ my apiary. Bare in mind, Australia is 6 months out of season for you fella's in the states - Im smack in the middle of maintenance time here right now!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run about 10 hives as a hobby on the farm here (Ballina, NSW, Australia) I have a real job that lets me pay for all this - haha.

Anyhow, just got thru making up some bottom boards - I modified them slightly for beetle captruing etc

Knocked together 10 full depth supers, and a few lids I had lying around in the flat. I assemble everything with the crown stapler these days - no nails.

Had to timber bog fill the holes left over from the crown stapler, then give the edges a bit of a rounding off with the sander. A coat of oil based primer (thats the white paint). All the exposed edges get 2 coats of primer. All done with a 3" wide paint brush.

Default Re: Robbo's Bees - Photo Blog

This is my typical apiary in the spring / summer ( a few months back)

How come your telescoping lids are so much bigger than the hive top?
    AKA BEEMAN800

They arent a telescoping lid. I use all migratory lids on the hives that are the sane size as the super box.

What you are seeing there is insulation on top of the lid. I live in a tropical climate. We can get 40 (104 f?) degree days and heavy rain all in the same day. Rainfall per year is 2000mm or roughly 7 feet per year. That insulation keeps the entrance a bit dryer and helps the timber joints on the boxs.

i noticed an electric fence.what do you have to protect you hives from in australia
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.

We have a few cows on the farm. Its just to stop them bumping into the hives, or scratching/rubbing them selves on them.

I dont use those the entrance sealers that are a nail and some metal - the kangaroos can shut the entrances themselves!!

Bog filled and sanded slightly

1st coat of 2, water based paint. I love having the hives green and camoflauged into the bush slightly.

The staplers. 1 is a 6mm (1/4" crown) and the other a 12mm (1/2" crown). 6mm sizes go from 12 to 38mm. The 12mm goes from 1 1/2" to 2". I use the 2 inch ones - forget about taking the boxes apart if you make a mistake!!

Staple sizes - a 14mm would be handy. these are the 6mm, 18 gauge ones.

Last edited by Robbo; 06-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Stuff I take to the bee yard with me for an inspection. I only found out about the cool suit, and the bee-z smoker thanks to this site. Imported them to Australia, and very happy with both items. I love the internet some times...

A few spare supers. Trying to keep in front of the game/demand for next springs busy times. The left pile is above a water/vinegar bath. These are stickies from last season. I dont use any chemcals in the storage process. I go 2 supers between metal seperators. Works ok for me.
    The piles on the right have wired frames but no foundation fitted. I fit the foundation as I need them, normally 20 at a time. I prefer the foundation sitting in a box rather than on a frame in a super in the shed.

heres how I knock those frames together - short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvUe5ikCwec

Shelving unit in my bee area in the workshop. (see the bee vac - haha - another thing I picked up fom this site)

Last edited by Robbo; 06-10-2010 at 05:22 AM.

ok i do the same thimg with a few hives i have in a pasture.some beek in this country havea problem with bears and fence in there hives.
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.

Nice group of pictures Robbo. I have watched the video before. You have a lot of nice tips.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Joe and Heidi S.