Thread: virginia

Default virginia

I am not a bee keeper but love bees. Today I was at Lady Bird Johnson Park in San Antonio. There were men working on the hike and bike trail along Salado Creek. They had disturbed a bee hive and several men got bitten. They called the city and the city had a man come out to destroy the bees and the hive. I tried to stop him and the workers but didn't know what to do. In the end they suited up and went down to destroy the hive. What should I have done and what can I do to save the bees in San Antonio in the future. I feel just terrible and want to try to save future bees! There is so much ignorance surrounding bees and so many people see them as pests. I hope you can help me with good suggestions. Virginia

Default Re: virginia

They are more likely to listen if you become a beekeeper and join a local beekeeping club or association. If you are known to the fire departments, agricultural extension agents and emergency responders as a beekeeper you will be much more successful.

Virginia,
    You live in a hotbed for Africanized Honeybees, chances are even if you object, the nest site will probably be destroyed, it's a real shame but it's true. Most City or County officials won't take a chance if they are located in an area with AHB. Thay are far more aggressive than European Honeybees, therefore are eradicated rather swiftly. I personally believe that if anything is left alone for long enough it will find a balance all on it's own, but I can also understand City officials not wanting a lawsuit on their hands. Like I said, it's a shame, another case of man trying to reach the greener hills and Nature paying the price. Just my opinion, you can take it with a grain of salt. Wish you the best.

I don't think I can do that with my work schedule but I can find a local beekeeper to do this. I have already found several sources that will remove bees safely so I will discuss with them a way to have their contact information readily available instead of calling an exterminator.

Thanks for your response. The fact that the bees calmed down and were not visible to me makes me wonder if they were Africanized. I am still feeling terrible and somehow responsible for not doing more. I have since found a list of people in the area that can remove bees safely. I just need to know which department of the city I should contact.