Default installing packages in top bar langs

In one of the hives the comb is beautiful and straight and runs the entire width of the hive perpendicular to all the top bars. I put another super on with some old drawn comb as a guide and they drew one perfect straight comb and then two more at a "K" shape running off in two directions. Should I try to cut and re-tie between drawn frames? I didn't want to undo all their work as the queen needs somewhere to lay and get started.
    In another hive there is one giant comb almost filling all dimensions of the super like a roller coaster in all directions. I'd really have to mess this one up to straighten it out in pieces. Should I just accept that this is their crib and the comb will be what the comb will be?
    BTW in my warre hive the package girls have drawn two boxes perfectly, and in my KTBH which I bought already started they have drawn 8 more perfect combs.
    Thanks!

Default Re: installing packages in top bar langs

I caveat this post with "I am a new beekeeper this year."

I had some cross combing in my TBH that had just started at one end of the comb. I removed the portions of the comb that were not straight but cutting through the cells.

I then placed those bars in between bars that were full and straight. Two weeks later the bees had rebuilt all the comb I had cut off plus much more.

I have read time and time again, that once you have a comb that is not straight... the next built comb will follow. The way the bees were building in my hive, I can confirm this.

What is a top bar lang?

If you are putting top bars in a square walled box you are going to have problems. Isn't the idea behind the shape of a KTBH or any TBH that it is tapezoidal in shape so the bees won't build comb that attatches to the sides?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If you are putting top bars in a square walled box you are going to have problems. Isn't the idea behind the shape of a KTBH or any TBH that it is tapezoidal in shape so the bees won't build comb that attatches to the sides?
    There are many forms of hives with bars on the top that do not have sloped sides, and do not have issues. (Take the Warre for example.)

Also, many TBH with "trapezoidal" cross section Still will have some comb attachment. A beekeeper simply cuts off the attachment before pulling the bar.

The bees tend to keep some bee space around the comb. Minor attachments can easily be removed with a thin hacksaw blade or hive tool working from the bottom up.

Well, I'll back out of this Thread after these comments. And I don't expect an answer, thank you.

Why do this at all when we have frames which keep this from happening? Both unstraight combs and wall attatchment. It seems kinda silly to me. Primitive beekeeping for some reason that I don't relate well to. Maybe Sam Comforts' talk at the eshpa summer picnic will enlighten me.

Consider that a venting that doesn't need any reply. See y'all in other Threads.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

hater