Hybrid View

Question So here's what I found...

yesterday when I opened up one of my two TBHs that survived my first winter with bees: About four of five completely empty bars of comb, and two or three bars each filled only about 1/4 way with capped honey, left over from the fall. No bees hanging around these combs on the periphery on either end. (I have a center entrance.) I started scratching my head about why there were so few bees. Then I thought that this colony must have swarmed when I was away during the week. (And I have set up lived-in nuc boxes as swarm traps with lemon grass and a little Bee Boost. Maybe they were too close - about 75-100 feet away.) I saw capped drone brood and nectar and several queen cells - one was capped, the other one had larvae and a couple of others - I don't know if they were old hatched out or being worked on. I don't have enough experience to tell. I didn't see eggs or worker brood and I couldn't find the queen.

I have three questions: 1) Does this sound like a post swarm colony to you?

2) I removed the excess bars of empty comb, took one of those 1/3 filled bars of comb with honey and closed up the follower boards. Is this a good move or do you think I ought to leave the empty combs inside?

3) Ought I remove some of the bars with the old fall honey too?

Thanks.

Default Re: So here's what I found...

Sound like you have laying workers to me

They will still try raising queens with the eggs that the workers lay but they will not amount to any thing they usally tear them down after a while

Or they could have swarmed and the old queen will leave with the prime swarm and the virgian queen that stayed in the hive something happened to her

but if you see queen cells with larva in them it more than likely the workers are laying them and the bees are trying to rais a queen they will even lay in queen cups

Velbert, Thanks for you reply. If you had read my entire post, I stated that there were NO eggs - at least I couldn't see any present. An interesting note: A few weeks ago I had to take a bar of eggs from THIS colony to save my other one that was queenless. And both were doing just fine after that.

I don't want to oversimplify, but I'm not alarmed at all - just curious. And I needed expert feedback to get some advice - since I'm a novice.

What I'm asking is: After a colony has swarmed, what does the one left behind look like?? Is it anything like I described?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What I'm asking is: After a colony has swarmed, what does the one left behind look like?? Is it anything like I described?
    I don't have a lot of real life experience yet, but I've done extensive reading and most everything says that about half the bees leave when swarming.

If you have a bar with eggs it cant hurt to add it to this hive just in case something happened to the virgin queen. It does sound a bit like a swarmed hive.. I would have to actually see it for myself, I don't have enough experience with this to say for sure from a post.
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

I would expect to see lots of capped worker brood after a prime swarm leaves.
    What's the bee population like in the hive?