Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stolen bees

34K views 134 replies 46 participants last post by  suttonbeeman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well well well what goes around comes around. The guy who went behind my back and "stole" four of my beeyards by paying $1,000 cash (yes thats right) was arrested for stealing bees, bee equipment, honey, and much more and is in the Putnam Co jail under 50,000 bond. He was also selling honey without a approved facility, and many more things yet to be seen. Wonder how all this will come out....to read the article go to
www.palatkadailynews.com or google Ruben Josey.

#3 ·
So are you going to get your bees and equipment back??

People like that are just bottom feeders and their time will come, his did!!

G3

#4 ·
he stole my yards not my bees.....if he had stole my bees he probably would be some place other than jail! It is my understanding that the beekeepers have gotten back their bees or at least what was found....evidentually lots of bee equipment/honey equipment besides the bees

#7 ·
Last info I got is that several supers of cut comb honey were recovered that were stolen in Georiga. Beekeeper there has identified them as his. Evidentually he was stealing honey, possability blending it with corn syrup (several barrells of food grade syrup were found) and selling at farmers markets(have to wait on test to be sure). He claimed he had 1000 colonies, pollinated almonds in Ca, Cranberries in Wi, numerous vine crops in Fl, put bees on a barge up the apalatchacola river for tupelo and secret spots for galberry and palmetto then to south fl for pepper. IN reality he had way under 100 hives. (Not counting stolen ones). Had a real rackett going!!

#13 ·
Many years ago when I was younger, my uncle that first got me involved with bees had every hive stolen from one of the locations where he kept them. We went there to check the bees one morning and all that was left were the cinder blocks where the hives had sat. I was probably no older than nine years old and I can still remember the feelings that I felt on that very day. I keep my hives at various produce farms and I can't help but worry about the same situation happening to me one day. I hate a low life theif.
Big T

#14 ·
How does someone "steal" 4 beeyards for $1000? Did they pay the landowners $250 each to be allowed to put bees in the beeyard?

If that's the case, they didn't steal the yard. The former beekeeper just got outbid. That's known as legal competition in business. (Unless you had a contract giving you exclusive rights to the beeyard.)

#15 ·
Here's a news source:
http://www.cafresh.org/agalert/AgAlertStory.cfm?ID=28&ck=33E75FF09DD601BBE69F351039152189

To deter thieves, a microchip technology initially developed to identify lost pets is now being used to assist the beekeepers. The microchip technology, developed for pet identification by veterinarian Hannis Stoddard of Norco, has unique identification numbers that cannot be altered. The chip is so small that it can fit easily into a hypodermic needle. Beekeepers are now inserting the same chip technology in the wooden frames of their beehives.
Ernie

#17 ·
countryboy.

He rented the large farm which I had four yards on for $1,000. ( I was giving the old fellow 5 cases of 24 1# jars or 2 gallons per yard double what most rent is plus a little comb honey). BUt CASH looks good! There is a unwritten rule in beekeeping you may not be aware of. YOU DO NOT GO and put bees next door to someone who had had bees there before you. Nor do you go behind another beeks back and take his yards. If you do you might find burned hives or find yourself in a bad physical condition. IT may not be illegal but it is unethical. In this case I hired him to help me for two days, after I sent the bees to Ca to almonds he went to land owner and gave him 1,000 CASH, now I knw why he helped me! (We had some heated conservations which required the local sheriff to mediate) If you go to Florida and do this wo be unto you. This year I saw a beekeeper put about 100 hives just across fence from another beek who had been putting bees there for 30 years....he gave him 36 hours to have themgone or they would be dead! You just do NOT do those things !!!

#18 · (Edited)
One must be careful what one does or says to another person or person's property. Threats of killing another person's colonies, destroying hives, or threats of physical harm can lead to much more than one expects.

I personally do not take kindly to such thinking. Remember "What comes around goes around". Kill my bees, expect to be in court. No one has the right to threaten, steal, kill, or otherwise to another person's property or person.

I hope people get their stolen items back and get at least some payment for the stolen honey.

#19 ·
So if I understand you correctly you would be more than willing to break the law just because what somebody did was unethical ? Around here that would get you "three hots & a cot"
Also I would say that unwritten rules fall right in with verbal contracts - not worth the paper they are written on.

Now that said I hope the scumbag gets what he desreves.

#21 ·
When it comes to bee sites IMHO you have to have a code of ethics that beekeepers stand by otherwise it would be a free for all.
If you have a honey producing area that will hold 100 hives and you have your hives in that area then another beekeeper shouldn't put his bees within flying distance of your yard/yards.
It's just plain old common decency and luckily for us 99.9% of beekeepers in our region adhere to that code.

frazz

#22 ·
So, let's see. If you have you hives on a piece of property, and I buy the farm across the road, and bring my hives with me, I could expect to have them destroyed?

I would not move my hives on someone else's property, close to another's hives, but if I bought a piece of property, and I wanted to put my hives on it. those hives would be there.

You cannot destroy someone's property or threaten them, just because they do not live by your ethics. I agree that he should not have jerked the property out from under you, but the landowner was as responsible as he was. And, there is nothing illegal to him outbidding you.

Quit whining.

#23 ·
I put a hive on a friends property. My bees are within flying distance of at least 2 other yards. Trust me on this, just because my bees got their last, there is no reason I shouldn't have put a hive on his property when he asked me to do so. The other thing to trust me on is that if another beekeeper comes onto his property and starts messing around. That other beekeeper better be faster than a 30-06.

I believe being rude to other beekeepers, threatening harm to their property, telling them they cannot have bees in a certain area, etc.. Is one reason there are fewer beekeepers and fewer new beekeepers.

If I have a 5 acre bit of land and the fellow next door has a bit of land with hives on it, he has no right to tell me that I cannot put bees on my property. At first threat he would be reported to the State Apiarist and either the Police or Sheriff.

Basically this post has alerted me that there are thug beekeepers out there. I will be on alert and take proper steps to protect myself and my bees.

#24 ·
While all of you have good points...how many of you are commercial beekeepers and make your living at bees? If you moved your hives onto your property and you OWNED it not alot would be said...or for that matter if you were a hobbist with a few hives no problem. But if you moved in next to or do what the guy did in Florida your going to have BIG problems from most beekeepers. Yes you may sue him BUT CAN YOU PROVE he burnt them? I was a firefighter for many yrs...to prove arson you almost have to catch the guy with a match in his hand. But I can guarantee you he WASNT a barking dog....his teeth was showing and he was a pit bull ready to attack. He had been putting bees in that yard since 1980's. In Florida your bee forage can change dramatically just down the road, If you have some good spots you keep them..they are HARD to come by. The beekeeper who moved in, moved in just across the fence...very unethical. Before I move in a area I try to find out if another beekeeper has bees in that area and if he does I dont move in on top of him. I try to treat prople like I want to be treated. In my case $1,000 for those yards was a little high....but using stolen honey money guess it was cheap! And I wasnt a barking dog....if he took another of my yards he would have gottenmy rath....the sheriff asked me if I threatened him...I said NO I made him a promise....if he took another yard it wasnt a question if I was going to come after him it was WHEN. Let me assure you that there MANY MANY more beekeepers like me who will do the same. THose spots are VERy difficult to find and you defend them at all cost. Bees are everywhere in Fl...and if your smart you dont go behind someones back. I believe YOU SHOULD NEVER stab someone in the back....but I will defend whats mine!

#25 ·
Findley...I dont think you are understanding my point....if the forage area will support those bees and the landowner wants bees thats differant. One hive is no problem or for that matter 6 or 7. In the orange flow NO ONE says anything about bees being close as there is enough forage for all. Some yards have 200 hives with another yard 1/2 mile away or closer. BUT if I have bees on a property or for that matter any beekeeper has bees somewhere no one should go and try to get those yards, its just not the proper thing to do. Now if someone isn ethical....I'm sorry..but I'm not politically correct so now we have a problem. The person who moves in on top ( I'm talking 50-100 hives not 2 or 3) is the problem not me. But this guy didnt care whose toes he stepped on. As LONG AS HE GOT what HE wanted he didnt care. These type people are the ones that make life miserable. I try to help anyone, even find a location. I have taken bees to Fl for two differant beekeepers and furnished spots so they didnt loose them. But if noone has any ethics its a shame. Im not arguing just telling you how it is.....if you move right on top of someone with large yards there is going to be problems....and the state bee inspector wont get involved....its not his job...the sheriff might, but if your bees are dead a year later how can you PROVE who did it? Just be ethical and work togather...find a spot that is not on top of someone. Occasionally someone puts bees some place where he didnt know someone was across the fence....then you work togather try to help him find a spot down the road. But there are rogues and perople will walk all over you IF you let them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.