Default Foundationless second deep?

This is my first year and I started with a 3# package. It's almost time to add my second brood box. I do not have any drawn comb but they are doing a good job of the first box. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go foundationless on the upper/second brood box? I have heard they can draw foundationless faster than plastic, which is why I wanted to do it.

Default Re: Foundationless second deep?

I think you may have posted this question in the wrong category, but I guess the moderator will move it.

Going foundationless should work just fine for you and yes, they may even draw comb faster than with foundation. Just be sure to put some kind of comb guide in the top bar so the bees will be much more likely to draw the combs properly. If you're not sure what I mean, you can go to my website and check out the video titled "Foundation and Comb guides" to clarify. Just click the videos tab at the left of the home page to find it.

Have you checked out our website? I think our hives would be extremely well suited for your environment there in AK, although I have yet to receive an order from there.

Good luck to you!

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com

Default Re: Foundationless second deep?

Can attest to the fact that they draw faster foundationless as a new beek..We have 2 foundationless hives and 1 with foundation started almost the same time..The foundationless ones seem to be ahead with their comb....

Just stay with them and inspect frequently to make sure you can correct any mishabs..Also move one of the frames from the first box up so they can have another benchmark so to speak...Also helps them climb up....

To save yourself most of the comb correction, also make sure your hive is level side to side...

Good luck and have fun