Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gardner Apiaries

I ordered 2 packages from a guy that resells their packages locally. He drives down and picks them up and drives straight back overnight for pickup the next day. Both packages contained drone laying queens that I had to combine with other hives to keep them alive.

This past year I purchased 250 packages from Gardners and another 650 from other sources. I send out emails and contact samples of customers each year to determine how queen supercedure, stock buildup, quality of bees and other items to determine if I should continue with a supplier. This year there was an unprecedented supercedure rate in the queens from Gardner's packages. Not just in one location as we ship all over the country and recieved feedback from several buyers in several locations to be sure that this was not a "local problem" or a problem "confined to one area". Several of my customers experienced problems with the packages. On balance, however, there was a good sampling (more than 40%) where the packages performed exceptionally well. Where we saw the most benefit was the packages we had started to make Nucs. The Nucs performed very well, in some instances allowing me to do a 3:1 split, however supercedure remained an issue. While I dont know personally what the issue is, I believe that it has to be the result of the overuse of miticides that is causing the queens to produce poorly and for supercedure to occur. Someone else may have an educated opinion far more exact than mine. But this is just my observation. Of course we all know how difficult the package season was in 2011. It could be the reason I am seeing unprecedented contact this early in the year for packages and Nucs in 2012.

Jerry Mattiaccio
    Rock Hill Honey Bee Farms

You can get good and bad packages/queens from everyone. Last Spring was horrible weather wise for queen rearing in the south. I purchased 4 packages on April 2. I did end up replacing one queen later in the summer that wasnt performing well. However, one of the packages filled out the boxes and then produced 2 full suppers of honey for me. The other 3 filled out their boxes and produced some excess honey. Only 1 of the 4 had a higher mite count in August. Overall, I feel that they were good. At regional meetings, the #1 complaint I hear from other beekeepers is about queens that are not what we hope for but this comment has been applied to the majority of bee companies. Unless, you are buying many many packages, just get them for the supplier closest to you. Good Luck !

Got 4 packages 2 weeks ago through a middle man(Tim Wilbanks), 1 killed queen, second has a capped supercedure cell at 2 weeks and what she did lay is spotty with a lot of drone brood(queen limping around still, not laying), third seems to be laying good and the fourth is marginal at best but laying.