Default Hive beetles--any advise appreciated

I find myself in a bit of a pickle with regard to a recent infestation of SHB. They have overcome five colonies already this year and I am beginning to run out of ideas.

First of all, I live on an island in South Carolina where the first SHB infestation was recorded and they seem to love the place.

I am using screened bottom boards, treating the ground with DE, and inserting AJ's Beetle Eaters. None of those things has even put a dent in the problem and I am now looking to a more drastic response. I have never used chemicals in my operation, but am looking for some insight as to what others would do in an emergency situation.

Default Re: Hive beetles--any advise appreciated

get you some beetle barns from rossmans and put combat roach jell in them it did the trick for me good luck

Put your hives in full sun.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

SHB were a bad problem for me last year and the year before. Last year I killed hundreds with the hive tool, but didn't lose any hives. This year about March I saw 3-10 beetles in several hives. After installing the traps I've only seen 2 or 3 living SHB total in about 35 hives.

These are all things that I did that may have helped:
    1. Put all hives in full sun.
    2. Put beetle barns with roach bait in each hive. I bought these from John Pluta. I removed these recently so maybe the beetles will come back.
    3. Put the hive stands on top of weed-block (solid black plastic weave that lets water through). Mainly this was to help keep the hives clear of weeds and easier to work, but I suspect (no real evidence) that this also helps with the SHB.
    Triangle Bees

I think that I read on this site about the beetles and someone was using a plexgalss top on his hive they said beetles didn't like the light the top was not clear .

Yes,
    Theres a guy in florida, using a white opaque plexi top to let light in. He says leaving it on a week clears the beetles out of his hives. He had a letter in the American bee journal, & bee culture magazine.
    Might be worth trying, when numbers get high.

Quote Originally Posted by pom51 View Post
    I think that I read on this site about the beetles and someone was using a plexgalss top on his hive they said beetles didn't like the light the top was not clear .
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Yes,
    Theres a guy in florida, using a white opaque plexi top to let light in. He says leaving it on a week clears the beetles out of his hives. He had a letter in the American bee journal, & bee culture magazine.
    Might be worth trying, when numbers get high.

I look forward to trying this myself. But what I do is grab some of those political signs, (cortex) cut into squares ~2"X2", pack a little crisco on one open side, then fill from the other open side with boric acid. then cap off that open side with crisco. This is a fatbeeman meathod I learned from a local guy. the beetles are attracted to the crisco, and dig in... into the acid. I use as was reccomended to me.. 2 per hive body in opposite corners on top of the frames, works well. chemistrystore.com has the boric acid pretty cheap.

try a mixture of 1oz wintergreen Essential Oil to 16 oz of vegetable oil. mix well and soak a cardboard coaster in it. one 3" coaster per broad box. the wintergreen oil drives the small hive beetles out and will also kill mites. I use this and it has almost eliminated the small hive beetles from my hives. Now i see maybe one or two per hive. Last year it seemed i raised more beetles than bees.

Can you tell me where in the brood box you are placing the coaster?
    thanks you!

i place the coaster in the center on top of the frames. for a 5 frame nuc use only half of a coaster.

-Visualize Whirled Peas-

Quote Originally Posted by drupe View Post
    try a mixture of 1oz wintergreen Essential Oil to 16 oz of vegetable oil. mix well and soak a cardboard coaster in it. one 3" coaster per broad box. the wintergreen oil drives the small hive beetles out and will also kill mites. I use this and it has almost eliminated the small hive beetles from my hives. Now i see maybe one or two per hive. Last year it seemed i raised more beetles than bees.
    I'd like comments from anyone that has tryed this...please