Default High-fructose corn syrup vs. Sugar syrup

Curious which is better to feed a starting hive either High-fructose corn syrup or a 1:1 sugar syrup??

Default Re: High-fructose corn syrup vs. Sugar syrup

Feed 1:1 Sugar/Water now and then switch to High-fructose corn syrup in the fall!

1:1 to build comb, 2:1 or HFCS for fall feeding
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

um corn syrup is a taboo. its a frankin food. the problem with corn syurp is this every cell of the corn plant has a pestiside in it. that pestiside does not get nor can it get removed so its in the syurp and your feeding poison syurp to your bees? unless your corn syurp comes from corn seeds not produced by monsanto or bristal myers or byer. or cargil. its in it. And so its cain sugar only for my girls.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

honeybeealex, as you can see there are many different opinions on every subject related to beekeeping, keep asking YOUR questions, use the search function on most any topic, research, then make an informed decision on which paths you choose to follow. Many beekeepers (commercial, hobby, and sideliners) successfully use both sugar and/or HFCS to stimulate, supplement, and provide winter food for their bees. Beekeeping is an "art" not a "science" and there are many different forms of "art", all can be successful. Determine your own "brushstrokes" based on ALL the information you recieve from the many different artists here and elsewhere. Good luck.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I feed 2:1 sugar syrup as the 1:1 can spoil.
    I prefer feeding C & H brand sucrose over sugar beet sucrose.
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I fed HFCS for 20 years. 20 to 40 drums in the fall for winter feed. Never had a problem until...

HFCS degrades over time or with heat. Level of HMF builds up. Feed HFCS with high HMF levels and you'll kill your bees. I fed some HFCS I had stored for a year in drums in my shop. Killed most of my wintering nucs. Never again. I now feed only sucrose syrup and my nucs are wintering well on it.

There was an article in Bee Culture early this year about HFCS and HMF:

http://www.beeculture.com/storycms/i...y&recordID=686

Some studies indicate that cane sugar has better nutritional value for the bees, than HFCS.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    I feed 2:1 sugar syrup as the 1:1 can spoil.
    I prefer feeding C & H brand sucrose over sugar beet sucrose.
    Add a dash of acetic acid, it will keep mold away and lower the pH to match honey's. Randy Oliver has written about this in ABJ. Smells like pickled herring though...

is it ok to use "sugar in the raw"?

Is sucrose a corn product?

Kingfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Soupy944 View Post
    is it ok to use "sugar in the raw"?
    Raw sugar has lots of solids that make it difficult for the bees to process. Refined sugar is the best to use.

Sucrose is the organic compound commonly known as table sugar and sometimes called saccharose. This white, odorless, crystalline powder has a pleasing, sweet taste.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Does dadant sell sucrose? Is the cost comparable to buying bags of sugar?

Honeybeealex- As "Peace" said, many opinions. The discussion either goes toward health or $$. My opinion only, is if neeeded I feed 1:1 sugar. I leave stores on for winter feeding, but I don't make my living through honey production. The cost for a commercial to feed sugar would bankrupt them.

I keep bees for pure pleasure, and make enough to pay for my grandchildren's education. If you are just starting out, try both in different yards and keep copious notes, then you make the call. If I fed you cat food all winter, you would live, but not be the most healthy critter compared to most.

MP gave a good explanation of things to be aware of with HFCS. What I am not sure of, is long term health. For me, I am sort of a purist I guess. Old fashioned type of person. The jury is still out on long term effects of diet not natural to the bees.

I can only share from my experience and those close to me who are keepers. One such person suffers 50% loss every year but can afford to keep buying bees, which is great for the breeders. They rob 100% of honey and feed. I do not know if the losses are just because of the diet, but I am positive the diet attributes to the losses in some form.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

I bought my 5 gallon bucket of HFCS-55 Enzyme Hyrolysis process from Walter Kelleys in Clarkson Ky for $24.00. Didnt cost me anything for shipping since i picked it up myself!

https://products.kelleybees.com/wtkp....aspx?item=276

I dont think Dadant & Son's Inc has it! Atleast i never seen it in their catalog!

Id say that for health of the bees sucrose would be better.But if you want to save a couple bucks HFCS would be what you want. Like said earlier its all on what your plan is.

Kingfisher,

No but sucrose can come from beet sugar and most beet sugar is GMO, if that interests you.

"Half of the nation's sugar comes from sugar beets, and 95 percent of them are grown using so-called Roundup Ready seed produced by St. Louis-based Monsanto Co."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a6f2ede93880ee

http://www.naturalnews.com/024417_su...ndup_food.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet