Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Are screen-bottom TBH's leading to absconding packages?

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  11x 
#1 ·
I've heard of a number of people losing package bees after trying to house them in screen-bottomed tbh's (with no solid enclosure below). I know that the theory of the screened bottom is supposed to help keep moisture down and help bees winter in certain climates, but is it leading to a lot of bees absconding due to the desire for a more secure enclosure?

Adam

#3 ·
but is it leading to a lot of bees absconding due to the desire for a more secure enclosure?Adam
I dont have a TBH but I cant imagine TBH bees desire a more secure enclosure than those kept in langs under the same conditions and with screened bottom boards. Lots of bees are kept around this country on screened bottom boards in varrying climates, IMHO if there are absconding issues Im not sure it could be pointed at SBB as being the problem.

#6 ·
I dont have a TBH but I cant imagine TBH bees desire a more secure enclosure than those kept in langs under the same conditions and with screened bottom boards...
I wonder about that. The presence of a full Lang box of frames (and maybe foundation as well) would add a lot more enclosure and reduction of open air flow and light.

It could be just enough of a difference from the open, empty interior of a new tbh to keep the bees from leaving...

#7 ·
I think most people using SBB' dont run "solid" bottoms beneath them even through winter. I did not see Caklewacks post prior to me responding, interesting then I'm interested in seeing more answers.

CAKLEWACK- why do you think they are less successful in TBH w/SBB vs. Langs with SBB??

#8 ·
I can understand why they might abscond in a tbh with a screened bb, that's a lot of space open for a new colony to deal with, once comb is built it would be easier for the bees to control their nest conditions, even a solid perforated bb under the screen would give you a lot of ventilation and might prevent some absconding.

#10 ·
YES. for shure. every package we installed this spring on a open bottem except one left. with that said all of the packages on solid botems stayed. i belive it is a light issue. it is way to light if you have the bottem fully open. we took a board and put under the screen on one of the abscounded hives and put a new package in and thay stayed. i am not shure if it is a ligkt or ventalation issue but i am for shure thay stand a better chance if it is closed off till thay are established.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.