Thread: Grease Patties

Default Grease Patties

I recently installed two nucs on May 19. I have been informed by some other Beek's that even if you do not see any pests just yet, that it is best to try to treat your bees about two weeks after installation of a package or nuc's to be on the safe side. Because, of this what does everyone think about putting on a grease patty for the girls now? I know it is essentially just Crisco and sugar, however I want to be certain that this would be okay for me to do now. Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

Default Re: Grease Patties

I'm not qualified to answer this question. I have just started to research the use of grease patties.

I do hope this reply will bring your question to the forefront as I am interested as well.
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

Grease patties are used to treat for tracheal mites. Most of the bees in use are now resistant to these mites and require no treatments. If you want to use the patties it is OK to do so but they are probably not needed. Vegetable oil and sugar patties can be used anytime without problems, but if Terramycin is added to the patties for foulbrood control, they must be removed 45 days before you put on honey supers.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandGirl06 View Post
    I have been informed by some other Beek's that even if you do not see any pests just yet, that it is best to try to treat your bees about two weeks after installation of a package or nuc's to be on the safe side.
    Treat for what? As AR Beek noted, at one time grease patties (crisco & sugar) were used for tracheal mites, which don't seem to be much of a problem anymore. Some beeks are using grease patties with essential oils added for varroa, but I haven't seen any research on whether it's effective or not.

Thanks for the info.

I believe the mixture I had seen mentioned contained EOs.
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

Some Beeks in our association use them obviously for the tracheal mites (which aren't a problem anymore as you stated) and stated that it seemed to help a little with Varroa because they groom themselves after eating it. Don't know if there is any truth to that, but I'll try anything

Regarding tracheal mites... I'm noticing some evidence of tracheal mites (crawlers with K-wings) on my hives. It's interesting that folks say tracheal mites are no longer a problem; one of my bee books - was it Beekeeping for Dummies or Kim Flottum's ?- said that tracheal are as much a problem as varroa and that menthol or grease patties should be used year-round. I'm confused.

Karen, that is damage due to varroa, not trachea.
    Island girl, you need to know what you are treating for before you treat with anything. Going at it willy nilly is why hives do not make the winter. Research, ask questions, find out what is going on in your hives before you treat.
    You need to know why you do things before you do them. You need to know withdrawal dates, how long treatments are done and what the treatments are for.

Honeyshack, Thanks for your reply. I am sure that I've read that k-wing is from tracheal mites, as opposed to the deformed wings that are associated with varroa. However today I saw several crawlers with deformed wings by one hive and wonder if I should treat immediately (after I extract) or if I can safely wait a week and a half until I return from a vacation.