Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

unloading a semi load of singles

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Brooklyn 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Greg,
First you do that very well, but I have a few questions. with the bees flying free as you unload (move hives small distances) do you get a mass of lost bees after you are unloaded, or do they just go into a hive? Second was there a net prior to the video? I just did my first move of 30 and anytime I stopped for gas there were bees flying all around. Lastly is it hot where you are, or some other reason for bearding?
Thanks

#11 ·
thanks for the great comments!! wow so many questions to answer. first, we have had both bobcats and swingers throughout the years and like the bobcats, just personal preference. the load was netted but we didn't have anyone to catch it on camera because we were all busy at the time. after we unload the truck we leave them in the tall stacks until the next morning. all the bees that were flying will find a home, they don't drift all that much. the stack of medium hives were some of the combs from our mating nucs. when we are done raising queens for the season we tear the mating nucs down and combine all the frames to make a few hives. the hives are ready to get a box added to them cuz they are getting big. i wish i could get a better picture of the color of our boxes. the boxes are like a pastel / dead grass green looking color. it always looks white when photographed. look forward to making more videos, hopefully dealing with the hives themselves.

#15 ·
David...there are two principals in beekeeping....IF you havent spilled a load or had honey in the floor you havent had bees long! lol
I cant speak for greg, but yes I'm sure he had a net on....you nev er stop up hives..just net and go. The ones flying around will find a home. When I load I load BEFORE dark....all bees inair will get on the bus(load)...maybe not in right hive buy you wont loose any. Never see alot of differance in hives unless bees on ground are more to one end of trailer. Great video!

#16 ·
Greg,
Great Video. Your hives look almost as nice as mine. But I only have two :lpf:

If you ever need to unload some bees because you have to many let me know.

Under 9 min. to unload the truck you guys are fast :applause:

Just from seeing your pictures and this video you can tell you run a quality company keep it up an good luck

Talk to you soon,

Brooklyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.