Default Update on my daughters and my first swarm May 7 Pictures attached

Well my 12 year old daughter and I went out on May 7 and collected our first swarm and became her hive!

We housed it in a 5 frame nuc for 3 days and then we moved the ladies into a deep super with a frame feeder.

Today we actually moved them again into a custom Grandpa built set of boxes and here are a few pictures. They are doing great we have drawn out comb with honey, pollen and brood ready to pop any day. We found the queen, and watched here place a few eggs in some empty spots. My daughter is really getting into it.

Default Re: Update on my daughters and my first swarm May 7 Pictures attached

That's awesome. Great job.

I see a queen on the 3rd pic.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

It's awesome that your daughter is getting into it, the pics tell the story. Our next generation of beekeepers in training.

I'm hoping you have at least a veil for her and yourself. If you open up the hive later in the season without protection for the head, and they happen to be in a cranky mood .... she might get out of it pretty quick.
    To everything there is a season....

Looooking gooood

I'm hoping you have at least a veil for her and yourself. If you open up the hive later in the season without protection for the head, and they happen to be in a cranky mood .... she might get out of it pretty quick.
    Especialy with that long hair, keep the young people interested
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    It's awesome that your daughter is getting into it, the pics tell the story. Our next generation of beekeepers in training.

Yes we both have full suites, the girls were especially calm on that day. She has no fear, and loves looking for the queen and is getting good at it!

As they grow and get something to defend, they will be a bit more aggressive. BUT...congrats, i think its awesome. My 3 yr old is addicted too!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Congratulations on catching the swarm and getting another beekeeper started. These are fantastic pictures and it is wonderful that you can share these experiences with your family.
    Great job and thanks for sharing these pictures with us!
    Last edited by jhs494; 05-31-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Joe and Heidi S.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures of you and your daughter. I shared them with my girls because they also would like to keep bees with me and it keeps them excited to see others doing it without fear.
    ~Michelle