Default What are they doing?

I tried searching but evidently didn't select the right words. I was down by the hives today mowing and afterwards, watching the coming's and going's and there was a lot of that going on. I didn't see the first one with pollen on their legs. Question is, what else are they doing? Can you see water or nectar on them like pollen. I admit, my eyes are bad even with glasses. I just can't believe they are just doing sorties with nothing in return.
    Thanks in advance
    Barry

Default Re: What are they doing?

Pollen is in pollen baskets on their legs while nectar is in their honey stomachs. So you won't see nectar. When they come back heavy with nectar, you will see a lot of them come in short the the landing area and land on the ground. They will rest for a minute or so and then fly up to the entrance.

It could also be the time of day. I've noticed recently that my bees seem to be bringing in a lot of pollen in the early AM, but very little in the afternoon. They may be taking advantage of a good pollen source early in the day and then switching to a nectar bloom that peaks in the afternoon.
    To everything there is a season....

And don't forget water!

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    Pollen is in pollen baskets on their legs while nectar is in their honey stomachs. So you won't see nectar. When they come back heavy with nectar, you will see a lot of them come in short the the landing area and land on the ground. They will rest for a minute or so and then fly up to the entrance.
    I did see exactly this. Some of them were "clumsy" and missing the landing zone completely. I figured at the time that maybe they were just getting weak and near the end of their time.
    Oh well, I got a lot to learn!

Don't forget about new bees taking orientation flights. That can give you a lot of entrance area bee traffic.