Thread: Trapping Bees

Default Trapping Bees

I was reading the thread on how loud a swarm is and it peaked my interest on trapping bees. A friend sent me this link for a trap

https://products.kelleybees.com/wtkp...aspx?item=1277

1. But it looks like a super of comb with some lemon-grass oil is all that is required.

2. it appears that if you place these in the wild at about 8 feet high, the bees will come on their own.

The one post says that he caught 9 swarms in ten traps.... are these just random traps out in the woods.

Alex....

Smile Re: Trapping Bees

call it trapping i call it bait hives yes it works ,,,but it works best near bee hives
    i use bait hives where i have 3 or more hives this year i've "trapped" 7 swarms

Default Re: Trapping Bees

What constitutes near, I have 2 hives but 1mile away the guy has 40-50. Still good where I am???

if you see bees working, you're close enough. they'll find it. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Wink Re: Trapping Bees

What constitutes near.... put your bait hive where you have permission or control of the land. i like 200 to 300 feet from the bee yard .. if the bees can find they will use it
    i put 3 or 4drops of lemon grass oil in the bait hive every 10 days to 2 weeks
    remember to smile when you find a swarm has moved in

Quote Originally Posted by alexlloyd View Post
    it peaked my interest on trapping bees. The one post says that he caught 9 swarms in ten traps.... are these just random traps out in the woods.

Alex....
    It's like fishing. Some years are more productive than others, some locations better than others.

I like swarm trapping because it allows me to catch a swarm that no one sees (or calls me on) and it allows me to catch swarms and retrieve them at my convenience. When you get a call for a swarm clustered on a rose bush, you have to drop everything and leave before it does.

Grant
    Jackson, MO www.swarmtrapping.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I put 14 traps out. Baited with 1 or 2 frames of old comb and some LGO. I have caught 2 in the traps and I had to take two of the traps down for swarms that I have caught. So right now I am 2 for 12. Not to bad for just spending an evening hanging them and a few evenings checking them.

Where you catch a swarm maybe a good place so when you take it down and transfer the bees put it back up. Maybe a good fishing hole. I like to give them plenty of room so i make my traps atleast 8 frme deeps.... works for me. And also i like to place them at eye level so there not hard to get down. Along a fence row,an old road or lone tree out in a field.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.