Thread: My first hive

Hybrid View

Default My first hive

Built it this winter, installed the package a few weeks ago. Thanks to Mr. Bush and Mr. Chandler for all of the great information shared on their sites.

They are doing great. Very busy. It is interesting how they take syrup. They hardly took any the first couple of weeks, then they took an entire jar in three days, now they are back to not taking very much.

My neighbor seems to like them also, which is a big plus.

If I can figure out how to load a picture I will.

Default Re: My first hive

Congrats. You are where I want to be this time next year. I've just started researching and am seriously leaning towards the TBH. I've read quite a bit that talk about how much better they are for the bees.

But I'm concerned that I won't find any help from the local beekeepers association. I do things pretty well on my own, though.

Zip,
    That is great and welcome to the forum…pictures are always fun. It seems you shouldn’t have to feed now as they are bringing in plenty of stores. I have a hive that is expanding so rapidly that the ends may blow off!
    Fritz Monroe,
    Welcome also! I am a little concerned about the beekeepers association comment. I am particularly aware of the feeling that you may not be welcome there since I was the first KTHB user in our club. You will have beekeepers of all types in the club but many will be hobbyist and will not be as critical as you might expect. There are name callers and finger pointers in any group but a beekeeper is a beekeeper no matter what anyone thinks about their methods. I say join the group, put down your shield and go rub elbows with the folks who have been doing this for a while. They can bring their Kool-aid and you can bring yours. You can taste their Kool-aid and they can taste yours. It is up to the individual how much they drink. There are many things about beekeeping that we all have in common…the bees for example. I’ve gone from expecting to get hung to speaking at the beekeeping for beginners class on the KTBH. There are people in our club that need my help and I need the help of them as well. Lastly you can join and not say much of anything at first or say you haven’t made a decision yet. So I say join, lurk, and learn.
    Dave - PM me if you are interested in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
    http://www.davesbees.com

Don't worry, I will be joining. The meetings are the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Unfortunately I didn't find that out until after the last one and I'll be traveling on business for the June one.

Good to know that there are open minded people in the clubs. I really didn't mean to imply that I'd be shunned. I just meant that since most probably would not be using TBHs that they wouldn't be able to help with advice about the management of the hives, moving of the bars, etc. I'm sure that I'd get a lot of useful information about the bees.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-30-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: quoting the entire previous post

I agree about tbh, I always love to see beautiful new natural comb when they just draw it out before it goes dark with use, many people use langstroth without the foundation as an alternative to the industry standard, personaly I like the tbh because it is horizontal less back work
    My blog @ Bee Crazy