Default how loud a swarm is?

how loud is a swam ,or as in the farthest you have ever heard one from ,to locate? I was at a friends property today & thought we could here a mess of bees but couldn't locate ,as it is very thich cover ...I'm going there tomorrow to set my new trap..I might also add I'm a greenhorn & have no old comb for the trap but did put 2 frame in for them also some Kellys swarm lure ,,hope that peaks an intrest,,,any comments would be helpful & thanked upon ....Chad

Default Re: how load a swarm is?

whoops LOUD

I would like to hear from experienced beeks, about using old comb in a swarm trap. Since I have read (Richard Taylor) that if you give a swarm any drawn comb they don't draw comb like if they had none. Basic premis is no comb means they really better get busy.

when my hives swarm I can usually hear the event from 75-100ft away.
    As for the old comb in a swarm trap, it provides the scent of a previous bee residence. And apparently this is attractive to bees looking for a home. Mr Taylors statement may well be true but is does not speak to the attraction factor of the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    I would like to hear from experienced beeks, about using old comb in a swarm trap. Since I have read (Richard Taylor) that if you give a swarm any drawn comb they don't draw comb like if they had none. Basic premis is no comb means they really better get busy.
    I always use one dark brood comb and lemon grass oil in my bait hives. The phermone seem to atract them. I would rather collect swarms than worry about how much comb they make. Iv'e caught nine swarms in ten traps.....still wating on number ten.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Ted:

What type traps are you using, and how high you put them ?

casper

I built a few that are 20x10x 9 .I place it 8-10 feet high .

Big Grin Re: how loud a swarm is?

I picked up my first swarm last night. They were hanging in a pine tree about 8 feet off the ground, had been there since 4:30 when the owner saw them arrive and land. They were dead-silent until I cut branch and banged it onto the top of a cardboard box to carry them home in. There was not a sound throughout the hour it took to locate the right branches to cut. IT WAS AWESOME>>>>>

ps I should add that it was nightfall, 945 to 10pm when we started...

Quote Originally Posted by casper_zip View Post
    Ted:

What type traps are you using, and how high you put them ?

casper
    Casper i make them with any scrap plywood i can find and paint white. I also place them in some shade. The size is about 14in wide and 10.5 high.(enough for 8 frames). I place em about head high.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

A swarm hanging on a branch is quiet(usually). A field or forest full of blooms that are being worked by the bees can be very loud if there are enough hives in the area.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Default Re: how loud a swarm is?

They do make some noise as they come to a central location. It's a dull roar with a distinctive pitch. Once there though they can be quiet as a church mouse. I thought I had a swarm in my back yard a couple weeks ago from the dull roar pitch. I kept looking up into the honey locust tree where I could clearly here them. I then realize it was the bees working the blossoms heavily after a rain storm. I didn't even know they worked honey locust trees. Considering the amount of pollen the bees were carrying into the hives I say they were working the blossoms for the pollen.

As for not giving a frame of comb to a swarm to get the full potential of their comb drawing capabilities. I'd need to see some supporting documentation. It appears to me that the swarm with one frame of drawn comb still needs more comb and has the resources (young bees, gorged on honey before issuing) to draw the same amount of comb.
    Last edited by D Coates; 06-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Default Re: how loud a swarm is?

It's loud enough to get my attention. I was taking a swarm down off the house when I heard another swarm coming. It's actually kind of amazing experience to be standing the middle of a swarm..bees flying everywhere, the sound of so many bees flying, them bouncing off you like bullets of Superman...just awesome!

Craig