Hybrid View

Default TBH has slowed down...

The girls are not drawing as much comb as they did earlier. There is roughly a little over 1/2 of the TBH with comb and almost all have brood in the lower portions of the comb and a honey band near the top. Will they continue to add and fill the whole hive body or is this about it and they just like the extra space? There are 17-18 bars drawn at this time. I noticed yesterday that they have added more honey to the last bar the away from the entrance. Will they build past that bar or do I need to add empty bars in front of it to keep them working?

Default Re: TBH has slowed down...

I find they tend to grow in waves, it also depends on what flow you have going on, they should use the remaining space for winter honey storage, this would be were you harvest from.
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

I don't care about a harvest at this point since this is a TBH from a package. I am worried about winter stores even though it is early. We will be through the flow in about 4 weeks as May is the strongest here. I hope that they will continue past the last bar that is there, but that was the purpose of my question. Will they add more or decrease the brood and back fill at this point?

mine had a little spell where they concentrated more on getting their feet under them about half way thru the summer ( this was from a package started last year), then they got another flow and took off again. this may be what you are experiencing.
    i did not harvest any from the tbh as i was unsure what they would need to over winter. peeked in first warm day this spring and they not only had plenty of honey from last summer, it looked like they could have made it thru this summer as well
    ah well, at least i know i can harvest this summer for sure

beebiker

I took notice the other day that my top bar hive has done the same thing! I installed a swarm of feral bees in my TBH May 8th and from the very first day they was drawing comb like crazy. I couldnt believe the comb they was drawing, they put my 2 package bee hives to shame...hahaha But here in the last few days it has died down and there is still approx 1/3 of the 4 foot long hive left to fill in! I was wondering if they would fill that area in thats still empty or do they just like that extra space........I would like to know the answer myself, just curious!!!

I have a TTBH from a package installed 4/5. I am already needing to put a new TB in the brood area to keep them from getting honey bound. The queen won't cross a honey comb to lay so you need to keep open areas in the brood area or they'll kind of shut down.