Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Trap Out

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jim Ray 
#1 ·
Guys,
A man cemented in a wild hive in a canyon wall. That was a week ago and there is a huge cluster faithfully hanging outside on the concrete plug. A few days ago I set a hive with a frame of brood and nurse bees, a frame of honey, a frame of empty comb, and the rest wax foundation. No real movement into the hive has occurred, and it is literally a couple of inches from the top of the cluster. This morning, I dumped a couple of bucketfuls of the bees into the box. How many days can I dump in bees before they think they are "invaders" and not accept them?

Any tricks, guys?

#3 ·
That hole is cemented up good. Before, you couldn't even see to the comb - deep.

I'm not sure how long they can live with out food, but the next time I go (Tuesday night or later), I'll just try to get as many bucket fulls poured in as I can and leave.

They are spread out over a few feet area and are hard to get too many bucket fulls.

We were hoping that they would draw in to the brood, etc.

It appears they are massed there all day long. How long can they live without feeding? It's been almost ten days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.