Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

accidental bee killing

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mdaniels 
#1 ·
I just got my first bees. I am sure this has been asked. Seems when I work with them, either putting a frame of bees back, placing the top feeder, or inner cover, and cover on, I hear and feel crushing of bees. Even if I push a
bee out of the way, another one seems to step in that spot. Is this normal
and will I get better at it with time? Maybe more smoke? Thanks.

#2 ·
Seems fairly normal to me but I have found the slower I work the less it happens, moving the frames very gradual but steady giving them time to move out of the way. It's hard for me to do also without crushing any.

#4 ·
when replacing frames you should always have at least one fram out of the box to create some extra space. When you put one back, slide it down slowly against the neighboring frame on one side. THis should give the bees a chance to move off of the end bars as you slide the frame in.

When replacing the hive bodies, I usually puff some smoke across the top of the box on the stack and then give them a minute or two. Most will go down between the frames. Then slide the next box into place instead of just putting it down directly. THis will push some of the stragglers out of the way.

All of it takes some practice and you will learn by doing. You will always kill some bees and sometimes they'll find a way to let you know they're not happy about it.

#6 ·
Try not to feel too badly. I was being so careful (I thought) the other day--and somehow lost the grip on my frame grabber. Dropped the frame of bees on top of the open hive. They were a little peeved. I am wondering how many I killed and, worse yet--if I killed the queen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.