Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crohn's and Honey

This could be of use to some of you? Maybe a good topic for some or that may have the disease?

This could be a little long but let me start by saying that I'm not looking for any sympathy from anyone. I have the disease and have dealt with it. Understand it, accepted it and deal with it everyday. So please don't make this discussion about me but rather the disease itself and how it can benefit what we as beeks do and hope to gain from it.

I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's formally around the first of January this year. After month's of testing (doctors on a witch hunt) from what began as a severe attack of my gallbladder. The disease was detected during a colonoscopy and further testing somewhat confirmed it. A day after the diagnosis I had my first flare that lasted for a month. Fortunately I ran into a good friend on a job site who's wife had been diagnosed with the disease some ten years ago. She found a diet that promised to put the disease into remission and possible cure. She followed the diet for a year and has since been in complete remission of the disease and lives and eats as she now wishes. He assured me that results could be seen almost immediately depending on how far advanced you are.

I did some research on the diet and ordered the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" ( Barry, if naming the name isn't alright delete it). The diet follows the premise that the disease is driven by bacterial infection or rather infestation of the digestive tract which is accepted commonly outside the US but rather here, the AMA classifies the disease as an Autoimmune disease. Treatments are harsh and almost completely ineffective and most often lead to surgery. I have a report from one person who has the disease that had a successful treatment, that after four surgeries was administered and has been in remission for the past four years. So the treatment is used only after extended efforts fail.

The diet is simple and returns to the basic diet people ate before man started making processed foods. Vegetables, fruits and meats alike are fine but only in there native forms. Vegetables are to be eaten fresh or frozen. Starches are not allowed and grains are not allowed. Any complex sugars are forbidden. The the diet restricts complex carbs and starches. Simple sugars are absorbed directly by the stomach and require no digestion. Starches and complex sugars require large amounts of digestive fluids which set up media for decaying matter which fuel the growth of pathogens and harmful bacteria, which then in turn eat away at the surfaces of the intestinal tract. It's believed that some of these bacteria which are free to grow and mutate and release toxins, may be the cause of the disease and other problems.

Now I'm certainly no doctor and I know there are some here that may like to dispute this information. I am passing it on as I understand it and welcome any comments. My own doctor rejects it, for good reason, he needs his paycheck. AMA---paycheck. Get it? But he has accepted my following of the diet and it's results and is just monitoring my progress without further treatments.

How does this tie into honey? Honey is the only sweetener other than a couple of the substitutes that are allowed by the diet. Some of you already know that because of the sugars that make up honey. They are simple strand carbs that are readily absorbed by our digestive system. I can tell you now that I can no longer tolerate any other types of sugars. Just a small amount will easily ruin my whole day! But I can eat honey straight out of the jar without any affects at all.

I recently learned of a friend back home in Asheville that was suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and was facing colon removal. I turned her onto the diet and took her my book. She was so desperate in finding some kind of answer that she immediately researched and started the diet. I learned from her today that after following the diet for only about a week she was able to for the first time in about a year, to go out and have a meal and enjoy her evening with her daughter without any problems at all. She has been a prisoner of the disease for the past year in her own home.

I don't claim to be the brightest bulb on the tree by no means. But this is pretty impressive to me folks and I'm grateful to have been given the information by my friend and for my friend I in turn could pass it on to. I have been amazed at the number of people that I have met that either have the disease or knows someone that does. They are everywhere! Some disabled and bed ridden with the disease or similar. It's a terrible crippling disease for some people.

The book and the information available on the web is a very good read. And in my opinion a return to a basic diet that most if not all people should try to return too. It's just simply a healthy diet.

So I put this here to hopefully point some of you that may be stricken with the disease to help and also for the beeks looking for a new market.

Just as a side note. I have lost weight from this past June, 242 down to 192 headed for 175 before I stop. Not as a result of the disease or the diet I'm following. You can gain on it as well. But because of my eating habits and will. And I'm glad to say that I have still gotten to enjoy the sweet treat of honey all along and pretty much any time I want it. And not much extra exercise to assist. Especially since cold weather set in and activities have slowed to a crawl.

Sounds like I'm selling a sit in front of the TV and loose weight diet! LOL Sorry, it's not that easy!

Sure hope this helps somebody out there!

God Bless
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Re: Crohn's and Honey

My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's a few years. She is currently on methotrexate - a weekly injection she gives herself and has helped her to some extent. She has been reading book and getting ready to follow a diet called "Great Taste - No Pain" She has just ordered the book and prayfully it will help. I've emailed a few drs. who have been doing studies on Lupus and honeybee sting and/or honey therapy to see if there are any apitherapy regiments will help.

Any and all formation on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

I've not seen this one fury. Probably similar in design I'm guessing? It's not a terribly hard diet to follow but is for someone used to eating out. Fast food is history. There is just nothing on their menu's that can be eaten.

From what I understand most eventually wind up on prednisone. A useless steroid that takes years off your life with every dose that does nothing but cause further complications without any results for the disease.

Over the past few months I have accumulated so much disdain for the medical establishment. Played so many games and useless witch hunts by doctors purely for the sake of milking insurance for every possible penny available, knowing that there was no reasonable justification for the testing/treatment. Meanwhile me, the patient suffering with no other alternatives but to play along. Trust me, I have had many words with doctors, their offices and hospitals over the past few months. No doubt some now dread to see me coming. I have busted more than one of them at their game and they all know that I am paying very close attention.

We have to look out for ourselves and certainly not blindly put our faith in an increasingly corrupt establishment that portrays having our best interest at heart. I don't doubt the conviction of most individuals that care for us, but they are regulated by a higher power that is driven by greed. Sorry if I have a harsh opinion. But I've been there, watched 100's of thousands go down the tubes for no other reason and didn't even get the t-shirt.

Hope your wife finds some help and relief!! There's a growing community out there in support of the diet from people having great success with it. Quite a bit of information on the web that's free.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Smile Re: Crohn's and Honey

Very interesting. I do think honey will cure or help cure a lot of things but most Drs. either don'tknow about it or are afraid to prescribe it becuse it is not tought in Medschool.If we could find a way to add the honey bee to their paycheck it might change the way they think.

She hasn't had to take prednisone yet, but at times will take 3 entocort 9 ml pills when the flare ups are bad. I'm not sure how many hobbyist beeks there which are Medical Drs or Scientist, but it would be nice if someone in the medical or scientific field would run with this.

Just got this back for a MD who does apitherapy. He wrote it for my wife. Now, I will need to find a good source of propolis.

Greg,

I feel that the honey may be helpful for Crohn’s disease and there is good evidence that Propolis is helpful for Crohn’s.

The exact right dose is not known and probably different for different people. I would start with 1000mg of Propolis three times a day and work my way up from there on a weekly basis depending on the response.

I would take 1 tablespoon of Honey three times a day.

You could join the American Apitherapy Society and tap into an organization with members who can also help you with your questions.

I don’t know that I would sting her feet without knowing what the rash is due to- which I don’t. Maybe they’ll get better with the Propolis.
    Last edited by bhfury; 03-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.

I know nothing about Crohns but my wife has had amazing success treating her disease with nutrition and apitherapy and according to the best and brightest nothing can be done for her. Reliv shakes have been a Godsend for us. They offer a nutrition supplement for just about anything that ails you AND IT WORKS! My wife has cut her pain meds in half and has cut back quite a few of the other meds with three shakes a day. When the pain does get out of hand a few stings work faster and better than the drugs do.

Best of luck as you all sort through it.

The diet is simple and returns to the basic diet people ate before man started making processed foods. Vegetables, fruits and meats alike are fine but only in there native forms.

Sounds a lot like the Biblical old testament 'clean foods' diet.

Now, I will need to find a good source of propolis.

Check eBay. I think I saw The Honey Householder had some listed the other day on eBay. (or PM him)

CP - Your Crohn's Disease eduction. Pull up a chair.....

Crohn's Disease is an autoimmune disease, in which the body's immune system attacks the gastrointestinal tract, causing inflammation; it is classified as a type of inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's Disease is an inflammatory disease of the intestines that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract, causing a wide variety of symptoms. It primarily causes abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or weight loss, but may also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract such as skin rashes, arthritis, etc.

There is no cure for this disease only treatment of the symptons. I'll have my wife look into Reliv.

Thanks for the education. Sounds like those of us who are blissfully ignorant should be thankful.
    When you look into the Reliv, try the Arthaffect. It is designed to help with arthritis but it does a number on just about any kind of inflamation.

My sister and father have Crohn's, I happen to be a scientist, and am also (obviously) a beek. I haven't seen much in the peer-reviewed journals about apitherapy for Crohn's but I wouldn't discount it. The last theory I read was that it was induced in some people after infection with atypical Mycobacteria. The hypothesis is that it's an autoimmune disease that is triggered by low grade infection like rheumatic fever after a bout of strep throat. Given the natural antibiotic properties of honey and propolis, they might be beneficial.

I will pass this on. my best friend was just diagnosed with chrones. thanks

I will continue to do my research and hopefully someday there will be cure for this disease.... we can hope that for all devistating dieases.

I have crohn's, it sucks. Literally, it sucks the life right out of you. I've dealt it for about 13 years. For the first couple of years, I just tried to ignore the pain until I became anemic and had to visit the doctor, who took about a year to figure it out.

It's been mostly under control with meds for the remainder of the time. I've heard the diet mentioned works well, however I've not been disciplined enough to try it.

I have read about some docs experimenting with doing bone marrow transplants to reset the immune system. I haven't heard it's worked long term, however short term prognosis was good.

Quote Originally Posted by KSbee View Post
    I have read about some docs experimenting with doing bone marrow transplants to reset the immune system. I haven't heard it's worked long term, however short term prognosis was good.
    Now that's interesting as well. Any idea of the Dr's name? Or the which article it was?

Thanks,
    Greg

I have dealt with this disease for about 5 years and I just ordered the book. I will try it and follow up with my results.....thanks for the info!

My wife has ordered two books - Great Taste No Pain and Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Right now she is following the Great Taste No Pain and says it is really working for her. I too will keep everyone posted on her progress.

I'm still with the diet and it is working, where the anti-inflammatory drugs only screwed up my liver function nicely for me. I stopped them before damage occurred thankfully.

Folks with the disease understand what it's all about and are looking for answers that the doctors don't have quite honestly. And yes there is evidence that it's caused by certain types of bacteria or their waste products. It's not that the foods eaten directly help with the problem but rather don't cause the digestive tract to secrete fluids to assist in the digestion of foods that can't readily be absorbed. In turn setting up the breeding/feeding grounds for the bacteria' to prosper.

I have not seen any reference to the anti-bacterial advantage by the use of honey, not that it doesn't exist. But rather that because complex carbohydrates are restricted in the diet, honey is the only acceptable sugar other than fruit sugars because they are readily absorbed and require no digestion.

Were it not for the fact that I have close personal and trusted friends that have put the disease into remission by means of following the diet for an extended period, followed by a regiment of anti-biotic's I too may likely be skeptical of the diet. But I can say from my own personal experience so far is that if the diet isn't followed strictly and without cheating, it will not work and the disease will very quickly show you that.

People should also recognize that everyone has the disease at varying levels. And the further one person is into the disease than another will dictate what foods they can get away with eating. For those in advanced stages, the diet is extremely restrictive and relaxes as progress is made in the healing. And I have found that some foods that should be ok for me to have, do without a doubt not work for me. I'm sure it will vary by every individual to some degree.

So until the doctors or the AMA come up with an alternative to removing my digestive tract one small piece at a time until there is no more, I will continue with what is working and looking for my own answers.

I am beginning to wonder what kind of which doctors you have over there in Georgia. Here in St. Louis removing intestine is a last resort. Even my first doctor back in 92 wanted surgery to be a last resort. I did have surgery to remove a total of 10 inches, but it had more to do with the tennisball sized growth than my crohn's disease. I was first diagnosed back in 1992 and was given the normal prednisone to end the flare and then azathioprine to keep me from flaring. Well I wasn't rich enough or disciplined enough to take a daily med so it wasn't working for me. azathioprine was like 90$ a month and that was right out of high school no insurance. After my surgery in 2001 the doctors put me on Remicade an every eight week IV infusion and for the most part things are fine. I will have to try eating more honey and propilis, although 1000mgs 3 times a day seems like a lot. I'll have to see how much a gram is and then tell the girls to pick up the pace a little.

Here is what my wife says about her Crohn's. I know since she has been doing this proper food combining diet, she has felt much better - see below.

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2008 and have been suffering the miserable effects ever since. The prescription medications for Crohn's are questionably as bad as the disease itself! I don't usually send out mass emails, but I think this is important. Ever since I ordered this program (it was around $40), I've been living a much better quality of life and have stopped my weekly sub-cutaneous injections (YAY, it’s been over a month!).

Please check this website out right away. It is so encouraging; I just can't describe how great I feel. It also helps people with IBS, indegestion, Acid Reflux, Ulcerative Colitis, weightloss and others (even though you don't have to have something wrong with you to try it -- it's great for anyone).

http://www.greattastenopain.com/cmdt.asp?id=1159363

And when you go to this site, make sure you request the free report. It's called "Pain-Free In 1 Day." You'll get their newsletter, too. If you purchase the program, use the link in this email and I will receive a referral credit.
    It's unbelievable. And it makes perfect sense.
    It was all so easy to do; I still can't quite believe it. I wish I'd found this a few years ago. It was all in the foods and the food combinations I was eating. Just a few minor changes and I've been a new person ever since.

I’m so happy with the results I just had to share with all of you.

...Virginia