Default straighten out comb that's only a little "off"

Hi everyone,

I have a typical Lang and I know this is a TBH forum but I'm going foundationless and figured I'd get the usual, "don't go foundationless until you're really experienced" speech in the other forums.
    That said, my hive is not quite two weeks old and I inspected today. First full inspection. Saw queen, a bit of capped brood, plenty of nectar/pollen, good progress on comb. Things look pretty darn good I think. My only issue is that in almost every frame, they've drawn a nice sheet of comb perfectly in line with the top of the frame, it's basically centered in the top bar of the frame. To one end of each frame though they have started another sheet of comb and that one is maybe 5 degrees off kilter with the top bar of the frame, almost like they didn't want to the two sheets to run into each other. On each instance of this I pushed that comb back into center as best I could, running it into the straight comb that's there, while trying not to damage either too much. My question is can I get them to build straight like this? Or will they never build that crooked comb straight no matter how much I prod them to and something more drastic is needed? Thanks all.

Default Re: straighten out comb that's only a little "off"

is the piece you are refering to full width? if not thay may join them togather later.

it is possible that they will join the two into one sheet, once you get some straight comb the rest will fall into place since they build each consecutive comb the same. What width are your frames? Like how many do you have in the box?
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

Ok, that's good to hear. It's a regular Lang, except it's an 8-frame medium. The nice main piece that's running right down the middle is not full width, which is why I guess they decided to start this piece on the side. Won't take any drastic action then, just keep proding them gently to try to have them join it up. Thanks for the replies.

What's the measurement from your frames center to center ?
    My blog @ Bee Crazy

Haven't gotten out to measure the on-center distance yet, but the last time I checked my bees I had a thought. The bees were building comb across the frames at only a slight angle. I had all the frames all pushed together with the extra space on the outside, which should be fine but I thought maybe if the frames were a little furthur apart that they'd be less tempted to go across, so I used the width of my hive tool in between each frame to space them a little bit more. I just checked them today and my comb prodding and the extra space seems to be helping. A tiny bit of comb between two pairs of frames, but nothing like before. The comb in the frames now isn't that nice, pretty, flat-across-the-whole-face-of-the-frame comb but the bees seem fine with it and since it's not moving across the frames I'm fine with it. They were just starting the second off-kilter sheet on the outside frames...seems to just be the habit of these bees..and I was a little more forceful in straighening it out so they'll hopefull draw it straight down. I did have the idea of putting some verticle guides in the frames as well as the strip across the top. May give that a shot in the next box. Thanks again.