Default Swarm leaving the hive

Today at work I witnessed a swarm leaving the hive. The bees were flowing out like water. The position of the sun (morning) made it hard to get a clear video, but I think you can make it out. It was amazing to watch. One of those rare things, like a piping queen, that you only get to experience every once in a great while. Even with as much effort as we put in to prevent swarming, I'm glad I was able to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMkMJTCKKA
    KI6FCI

Default Re: Swarm leaving the hive

That's pretty cool! They were pouring out pretty good. Were you able to catch the swarm?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: Swarm leaving the hive

The swarm hadn't settled when we left, we still had a few hundred colonies to add deeps to, to prevent swarms, so we had to run. Couldn't catch it. I have about a dozen sets of boxes, frames, feeders, etc on order from Mann Lake (tax refund, lucky me). I'm going to do a rush job of assembly and position a few at each of our yards so I'm ready for future swarms. I hope to end up with at least 10 colonies of my own. Next years almonds will pay for it all. Of course I'll use the money from next years almonds to buy more gear...
    KI6FCI