Default Motorized honey extractor

I have a manual honey extractor 18/9 frame. Has anyone economically (cheaply) motorized an extractor? If so how did you do it? I have been looking on ebay for a gear driven motor to mount on the extractor but no luck. If you somehow attach a regular electric motor to the extractor how do you start it up so it does not jolt the frames? It would seem that some type of speed control is need to start slowly and work your way up to a faster RPM. Thanks for anyone's help.

Default Re: Motorized honey extractor

Post pictures of your extractor.

You need to decide how you are going to mount the motor. Direct-drive... Etc..

Depending on the motor you pick, you can get a variable speed control fairly reasonable.

-K

you can use a regular motor and a belt and using pressure on belt as a clutch, increasing pressure increases speed.
    good luck
    Bob

the older dadant 20 frame used a belt system. Tension was added to increase speed with a leather washer on the spindle, as you tighten the wing nut the washer friction increases increasing the speed. I would think a direct drive with a speed controller or rheostat would be fairly simple
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

You should be able to use a DC motor + controller & power supply from a used treadmill that is laying in one of your neighbors garage or basement. I'll be up to you to select the proper pulley sizes and designing the mounts.

For reference, the Baldor motor used on some 9 frame extractors is only 1/8 hp and it really gets the machine spinning.