Thread: Dense honey?

Default Dense honey?

I took a few supers off and extracted a couple of days ago - very early in this part of the country. The honey is almost water white and extra sweet - but DENSE. Refractometer read 15 - 16% and the air bubbles are not rising much at all - is there such a thing as too dry honey??

Default Re: Dense honey?

Stays on your peanut butter sammich better that way

Had some checking in at 14% a couple of years ago. Kind of a pain pouring but good none the less. Nothing to worry about, enjoy.......
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I still have a little bit of that golden tar. Tends to tear up the toast so I use it in my oatmeal. Tastes great!
    Regards, Barry

Suggest that you check the calibration of that refractometer. If the honey is a dense as you say then it is likely 14% or lower. 16% is very pourable at room temp.

Sure, like too much fun, or a car too fast, honey too thick and rich! Are you kidding me? I would be happy to eliminate your problem. Do you need my shipping address? I won't even charge you to take it off your hands. Enjoy!

Check yer email sometime boss man. Sent you a BBQ recipe you can try some of that stuff in. Best I've had in a while!

I just finished the last bit I had. Sure would like to get some more of that stuff or similar at least....
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

You can always try warming a few degrees to get the air bubbles and bits to rise out of it. Or bottle as is. I suspect the low water content will actually retard crystallization.
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!

You should enjoy it It sounds reallyg ood to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Stays on your peanut butter sammich better that way

I'm with you on that. I use the honey that crystallized in its bottle, or the raw honey that sets up right away on my sammiches so they don't make a mess in their container before i eat them.

Thanks everyone. An old time local tells me it's black locust. I intend to do all the culinary things everyone has suggested.
    Ain't this a great forum?