Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Homemade Queen Marking Tube (for hobbyists)

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Specialkayme 
#1 ·
Here is a photo of my homemade queen marking tube.

This is made from a pill bottle with a non child-proof cap, a piece of cardboard (single-face corrugated wrap would be nice),a piece of netting, a small slice of light foam rubber, and a piece of paper to dress up the plunger, some tape, and a dab of glue.

Advantages:

1. Tube is much lighter (8.7 grams as opposed to 24.3 grams)

2. The plunger goes straight in without wobbling about

3. The foam I used is less dense (compresses with approx. 1/2 the force)

4. The plunger is hollow (two wraps of cardboard), so the foam can flex downward

See less See more
#5 ·
some questions on the materials.

what did you use for "netting"? were did you find/get it? what are your recommendations for net-grid-spaceing?

what did you use for foam? were did you find/get it?

your "cardboard" is that which they make brown boxes with (doesnt look like it) or something more along the lines of paperboard, the stuff they make cereal boxes out of?

#6 ·
what did you use for "netting"? were did you find/get it? what are your recommendations for net-grid-spaceing?

what did you use for foam? were did you find/get it?

your "cardboard" is that which they make brown boxes with (doesnt look like it) or something more along the lines of paperboard, the stuff they make cereal boxes out of?

Try an onion sack for the netting.

I had the foam...

Peel the paper from on side of a piece of cardboard and rool it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.