Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What type of foundation should I use?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I am a new beekeeper, and my two beehives will arrive tomorrow. Just wondering what type of foundation I should put down. Should I put down a pallet, landscaping blocks, cinder blocks, or any other foundations that any of you use.
Note; I did not purchase a hive stand for my hives.

#3 ·
pay no attention to the last post. it shure seems like some sort of a game with some poeple to see how much fun you can have with a newbie befor you run them off........ i use cinder blocks for now. thay work fine. i am in the process of putting poles in the ground and running boards between them to set my hives on. the only problem i see with pallets is that thay may have chemicals in them and thay wont last as long as some other materiels. is the ground level where you want to put them? if not use a shovel and a level to get your "foundation" for the hive to set on good an level. keep you head up and dont pay attention to the things that some people say. please check your pm.

#9 ·
I have been using cinderblocks, mainly because there is a giant pile of them in the old pasture behind the house. Once everything is level and settles a bit it seems to be a rock solid base, I've been pretty happy with them. Especially since they are simple and free. I like the idea of railroad ties, too. In my area CN leaves hundreds of them laying around in piles beside the rails. I think they give the old ones away for free if you ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.