Default Cutting Comb Attachments for Inspection

I am on day 17 and did my first semi-inspection today. I have a bunch of busy bees and comb up to and starting on bar 11. I moved 11, 10, 9 back and had to cut the attachment to the side on 8. To look at all the combs in the front I would have to cut the attachments on all. Is that a good idea at this point? Isn't this a critical time for them? Should I wait until after the 4th week maybe and we have some new bees or am I just being chicken...lol.

Default Re: Cutting Comb Attachments for Inspection

I'm new but I'd say from all the books,forums, and vids I've learned from, to inspect from the back forward until you see a good full comb of brood/larvae in a good pattern with normal amount of drone brood. I'd say cut attachments up to a full comb where you are certain your queen is doing a great job and that's it! I've never heard of a Short inspection in warm Good Weather hurting a hive or larvae or being "critical" in any way; as long as you don't cool the whole hive and make too much work for them to re-warm all the brood. I inspected on day 10 and my 3rd comb was full size(I had about 6 I think) and had a tight brood pattern and half open larvae in many stages so I knew the ones ahead of it were also good and I stopped. I inspected for drone on day 24 and got into more upset, more protective bees. I'd say the sooner the better for initial inspecting. If all is well just let them grow after that until you know you Need to open up for some reason. Just IMHO as a newbie learning a lot still...............

Sometimes you have brand new, white comb that is FULL of nectar and so soft it shakes like jello... that I would not attempt to look at. Brood comb, if you cut the attachments from bottom toward the top (so you put the stress up instead of down) can be inspected as along as you are gentle and careful not to turn it flatways...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That was the first time I heard cut up not down...makes perfect sense. Thanks.

That's the thought behind the blade positioning on the Bill Wood hive tool, isn't it?