Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dandant-evaluation of service

Tags
dandant
20K views 58 replies 49 participants last post by  SwarmCatcher 
#1 ·
I normally purchase elsewhere and figured i would give Dandant a try. I found the item #b52601, 8 frame complete hive with metal frame rest. I ordered. I received the book I ordered and the tele cover ONLY. I waited two days and the hive body and frames NEVER came. Then I called Dandant, who checked the shipping weights and sent the missing hive body, inner cover and frames but no frame rest. When I just called to have them send the metal frame rest, I was told they don't even make a metal frame rest for an 8-frame, and was offered NO SOLUTION. when i spoke to a manager I was told "we don't have that, we don't make it, I don't do the website or description". when i told them they would never get my business again they didn't even care.

#30 ·
I agree Paulbee#1,

I called them on Friday thinking they would be open on Saturday or even Monday, What a disappointment. Going to harvest some honey this week and need jars. I wanted to drive up and get them,since they don't guarantee against breakage in shipping. Oh well,their loss again.

#31 ·
Went to Dadant in VA. They need computers, its hellishly unorganized. The people running it are great, theres good gear there, its just all paper and carbons. Brushy is alot more organized on the computerization and my orders are always waiting for me, dadant was alot more hairy... and the inventory levels werent very commercial level... sounds like Illinois has made them the black sheep...

#34 ·
I have ordered several times fom the Paris,Tx. branch with no problems. On larger items the shipping costs were less than my travel expense and the order would be here within a week. Other times I tell them when I will be by to pickup and my order is waiting on the dock for me. I do know there is a back order for assembled frames with foundation. I am told a september delivery so I will have to wait and see. Like the dadant frames better than mann lake or kelly'e. The Kelly split bottom bars give a place for the hive beetles to lay eggs from the bottom and the ears brake off too easy.

#39 ·
They do not need to be open on Saturdays. The sales at Dadant are up every year and this year it is up by another 30%. They can not keep up with orders being open 5 days a week so your $200 does not weight on them much. Even if everyone on beesource stopped buying from them in protest it would not make a dent.

I am not saying it is exceptable after all we are the customer!

#40 ·
We use the branch in Frankfort Ky. Clay and his people have been nothing but great to us. We are there 4-5 times a year and the service is second to none. Always helpful and ready to help us out. Keep up the great job and they will keep our business. :thumbsup:

#43 ·
decided to try an order on line with dadant asked to ship from paris (local branch) to my bussiness address they sent from hamilton to my house

placed order on phone with paris branch on monday at 11:00 am for some honey bears and box of frames and some plastic cell tuesday at 4:00 had my order (thats overnight )

so bottom line call local branch they know the most economical way to ship and only charge actual shipping so saves a lot in shipping costs

#44 ·
On my most recent Dadant order they advised me that they were running 5 - 7 working days behind. Fortunately there's nothing urgent in mine. My advice...plan ahead.

#45 ·
I have used Dadant twice this year. First shipment took almost three weeks, the secon approx 4 days. I did try to call the Va office before ordering online again but could not get any answer for a few hours. I just went ahead and ordered online. Guess speed is kinda hit or miss. Otherwise I am very happy with the prices and products.

#46 ·
I've experienced slow service from Dadant before, but the "funniest" thing is that their coveralls have what I think is a serious engineering defect. The coveralls include access slits so you can get to your pants pockets. Fine idea, but the problem is that they are completely wide open! No closures of any kind. If you rightfully order your coveralls a little large the access slits splay wide open and provide nice access points bees to get inside your suit.
I love buying products and then promptly enacting modifications to provide basic functionality.
-Reid

#47 ·
I just bought the same pair of coveralls.Put them on and stuck my hand in the slot and reached my pant pocket and said what the...If I can reach in there I'm sure the bees will figure it out.

I ordered the coveralls and a pair of gloves on line. Took well over a week and half to get them. Medium gloves are too small and going back for a large pair. We'll see how ez the exchange will be.-Rob

#49 ·
StevenG has it right, Arlen is the man to go to(Hamilton Il.) I call 3 weeks ahead, place order with a window of a few days for pickup. A week out, I firm up the pick up day and time. I then drive past the Watertown branch, and laugh as Arlen shakes his head, watching me put 2 pallets, (1400 lbs of wood and foundation) in my VW van. He learns, doesn't shake his head any more.

Roland
Linden Apiary, Est. 1852

#52 ·
I have had good service from Dadant. Their frames are some of my favorite. What I don't like is I have to pay sales tax when I order from them because they have a store here in Florida and you still have to pay for shipping ofcourse. So I don't order from them very much only because of this. I do try and go pick up bigger orders from the store in High Springs when I have a chance.

#54 ·
I am a newbie and ordered about $1,600 worth of material from the Hamilton office. I received a lot of help and every thing arrived in excellent condition.I took a while as they had to order some top feeders for me. I returned a few items and they were great even paying for UPS return. I have also ordered from a few other places and have not had any problems with anyone.

#55 ·
There is a reason they have been in business 150 years.

1. They will help you get what you need.

Need custom sized wax sheets or a custom made comb honey cutter they will make it happen. Small things count.

2. Will fix screw ups. I once had a large order where the boxes were cut wet and shrunk. It was a hassle to put them together. Between Western and Chico they got me squared up promptly.

3. Wide range of products. Not always the least expensive but competitive.

Biggest problem I have is that they follow the lunch schedule religiously. I need to drive 2+ hours to get to their store. It breaks my day up not being able to get the stuff at the noon hour and get back home. If you plan on picking stuff up make sure you know when they are open, closed or out for lunch.

Had good service from Pat in Fresno for years. John and Jt in Chico get me going as needed and if they can't help me one of the Dadants themselves in Illinois have taken the time to answer my questions or tell me where to get the answer. Last time it was in a question regarding Mega-Bee.

4.5 stars out of 5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.