Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dandant-evaluation of service

Tags
dandant
20K views 58 replies 49 participants last post by  SwarmCatcher 
#1 ·
I normally purchase elsewhere and figured i would give Dandant a try. I found the item #b52601, 8 frame complete hive with metal frame rest. I ordered. I received the book I ordered and the tele cover ONLY. I waited two days and the hive body and frames NEVER came. Then I called Dandant, who checked the shipping weights and sent the missing hive body, inner cover and frames but no frame rest. When I just called to have them send the metal frame rest, I was told they don't even make a metal frame rest for an 8-frame, and was offered NO SOLUTION. when i spoke to a manager I was told "we don't have that, we don't make it, I don't do the website or description". when i told them they would never get my business again they didn't even care.

#5 ·
Re: Dandant-poor service

I wasn't tickled with the picking and shipping on an order recently either. I live about two hours from the office in Paris, TX, but they still pulled from the IL warehouse anyway.
I ordered the budget domed smoker, ten wood frames unassembled, 10 perco frames, a queen excluder and some nit noids. It came in two separate boxes on two separate days. It was missing the smoker though. When I called, it was backordered with no idea when it was gonna show.

To the girls credit, she said it was her first day on the job and was needing help to do everything. I don't think the service is on purpose, I just think they are in a training mode. I'll be back for one more try as I'm neutral at the moment. I can't praise them for anything but so so or less than good service. Well, the girl sounded really cute, but that would be off topic. She probably looks like a,...nevermind. They get a 4 outta 10 from me.:w

#6 ·

Dadant. I ordered some stuff from the Souix City office via email thursday evening since I had moved & had a new address. They called back Friday morning. I have a bunch of woodware to work on, sitting on my porch this AM.
Not my entire order, but it was what I really needed most: Bottoms, tops & lures. We'll see about the rest of my order. They have always had good service with me, and I'm 80 miles east of Pueblo, so I can't shop for much of anything locally, unless I go to Walmart.

I don't think you can please everybody, every time.

#7 ·

I just call Dadant in High Springs, FL. If they have they will ship it to you, If they dont have it they will get it and ship it to you. I like to deal with at the local level, it is easier and less stress than the corporate/main office.
steve

#8 ·

I am a new beekeeper and ordered some stuff from them twice and mann lake once. Both dadant shipments took forever just to leave the warehouse. it was up to two weeks to get my orders. Mann lake was way faster. Maybe places like amazon spoil us but I expect standard items to ship within a couple days at most.

#9 ·
A lot of people have complained about time to delivery for dadant orders off of their internet site.

Many have suggested that orders be placed on the phone to your local dadant, and you will get much more prompt service.

So if I use dadant again, I will either drive to the local affiliate, or call and place an order directly with them.

#10 ·
I had no issue with the timing of shipment and would not have even cared about the initial mix up. My two issues are: an itemized description on the website and the product that doesn't even have one of the items as their website stated and had visual representation that they had, secondly thatthey offered no solution to the problem (alternative product, credit etc)

#12 ·
Yep, that's what I did, bought the 10 frame rests and cut them with cheap sissors. I pick up from the Ky store to save shipping. I tried to get 8 frame rests (figured they had it since it was part of the complete 8 frame hive set), even told them that they were advertising that they had it because it came with the complete 8 frame set and showed them in the catalog. .....of course they didn't have it....just bought the 10s and cut them.

They should at least send you a couple of 10s to cut.

On all my pickup orders, with both them and Kelley's, they've been great companies to buy from. I just don't order during the busy season.

#14 ·
When I first started beekeeping in 2008, I tried to order equipment by phone from the Virginia location and the woman who answered the phone tried to discourage me from beekeeping -- even though I had taken a six week course at a community college. I was pretty ticked off at that to say the least and ordered from the Kentucky location which gave me good service. For some reason I then started ordering from Dadant online which was not satisfactory. This year I called the Virginia location again, got a amiable rep. and received my order in 3 days. Much better experience than online. Do not understand though why individual stores cannot maintain their own online sites for ordering.

To sum up, my experience with Dadant is that -- to paraphrase --they are like the little girl who had a little curl right in middle of her forehead, when they are good, they are very, very good and when they are bad they are horrid.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I guess I'm like so many others. Thought I'd try Dadant .Ordered on 4/29. On5/10 called, they said it had not been shipped yet, ok I thought, maybe busy. Called 5/17, still not shipped. Called today 5/24, still not shipped. Told them to forget it, I,d order elsewhere. I had ordered from Paris, Tx. because I' m in Ms. She told me part of the order would come from Ohio, makes a lot of sense to me. Anyway when I got home this afternoon, guess what?????, part of order was there. They can cram the rest. On a better note, got a call from a buddy about a swarm on a low branch on the way home. Boxed it, hived it, feel better. As Sydneyknits said, thier catalog will make good smoker fuel. That's all I have to say abuot that.

#16 ·
When I order from Dadant, I order from their Hamilton, IL home office. Always by telephone, and folks there are very friendly and helpful... I've never had any problem. I wonder how many of the branches are actually owned by Dadant, or are simply licensed vendors? That would make a very big difference, I would think.
Regards,
Steven

#17 ·
On May 2, I ordered all of my equipment from Dadant- suit/veil, gloves, smoker, hive tool, etc, etc. Being a new beek, I needed almost everything. When I still didn’t hear anything by the 13th, I called. The order still hadn’t been shipped. The only explanation was that they “were working on overtime”. No apology, no sense of concern. Essentially, no customer service. Since I was to pick up my already ordered nuc in two days, I had to go to a local supply house (where prices are significantly higher, but customer service is fairly good) and get at minimum a veil (which is fine, as my kids will end up using it). Almost a week later, I got a partial shipment (smoker and tool). I still haven’t heard one word and I’m STILL waiting for the rest of my shipment.

My biggest complaint is the lack of communication. Even when they did ship my partial order I never received so much as an e-mail confirmation or “thanks for your order”.

With the current economic situation, you would think businesses would realize they need to be promoting customer service if they want to stay in business. I understand my $200 order likely isn’t big for them. But what they don’t seem to realize is that my intent is not to stay small forever. The fact that others have had the same lack of service only further solidifies my decision to never, ever place another order from them again.

Okay, I feel much better now…. :)

#20 ·
Never had an issue with Dandant, Kelley or Maxant.
I've only every ordered metal goods and small odds & ends from Dadant for the the past 10 years. There shipping prices are higher then Kelley for me, but then again so is the quality of there metal goods. Dadant's wood-ware on the other hand is trash compared to Kelley.
There customer service is not as good as Kelley or Maxant but I wouldn't say its poor for the SIZE of the company or inventory they carry.

Sydneyknits was that an up to date catalog you ordered from? Unlike Kelley they will send out new catalog right away if you request one. Do you call in your order :no:. Email, fax, or website for record sake. Make THEM send you a quote back before you order especially if it's is your first time ordering from a company.

#21 ·
I picked up a decently large order (for me) Thursday at the Dadant home office in Hamilton, IL. I had ordered part of it in Feb. and part in March for late May pickup. I also added several items to the order Thursday morning. Everything was ready and waiting for me. Except one item I bought Thursday they only had one left, and I got it! LOLOL

As Arlen was bringing the items to me at the loading dock, and I was loading, we were talking about the business. They are literally swamped, with several hundred orders a day. They have extra staff and are working overtime. He was very friendly, but couldn't believe the beeks who order on Monday and expect it on Friday. Or they order over the internet on Sunday night, and expect to receive it Tuesday in the mail.

There's always two sides to every story...I'm not saying the beek is right and Dadant is wrong, or Dadant is right and the beek is wrong. Ordering equipment is like working the bees, you have to plan ahead. If you don't, you're going to get burned. I order from several different places, and always far in advance of my needs. I learned this lesson the hard way...that's why I remember it! :doh: Some places I've bought from I'll never buy from again, but Dadant and Kelley's are ones who will get my business every time.
Regards,
Steven

#22 ·
As Arlen was bringing the items to me at the loading dock, and I was loading, we were talking about the business. They are literally swamped, with several hundred orders a day. They have extra staff and are working overtime. He was very friendly, but couldn't believe the beeks who order on Monday and expect it on Friday. Or they order over the internet on Sunday night, and expect to receive it Tuesday in the mail.

There's always two sides to every story...I'm not saying the beek is right and Dadant is wrong, or Dadant is right and the beek is wrong. Ordering equipment is like working the bees, you have to plan ahead. If you don't, you're going to get burned. I order from several different places, and always far in advance of my needs. I learned this lesson the hard way...that's why I remember it! :doh: Some places I've bought from I'll never buy from again, but Dadant and Kelley's are ones who will get my business every time.
Regards,
Steven
Steven you saved me a lot of typing.:applause:
Most of my orders I get through ocean freight. So I have to wait a about 4 days for a shipping quote, week or two just to gets trucked to the port after it leaves Dadant or Kelley. Then If the order misses the ship (happens all the time) I have to wait another 2 weeks before the next ship( if it will fit on the next one).Then it still spends a week out at sea. Put it this way i had to wait 2 mouths 3 weeks to get a 60 frame extractor.

Some beek don't know how good they have it, so let me enlighten you. I'm suppose to get an order on the Monday two pallets of EMPTY PLASTIC BOTTLES approx $1,600 order ocean freight approx $2,600 a mouth & 3 week later hopefully. I had to wait 2 weeks to get the shipping quote. The first week the manufacture wouldn't call me back.:scratch: When I called them up they was trying to find someone to ship ocean freight to Bermuda as I requested in my email. Of curse trying to take the easy/ fast way out they call FedEx & got a int freight quote 1 week in transit for approx $8,000 shipping only (asked them just for kicks and they where still hesitant to tell me).

As for small orders where slowest FedEx or parcel is fees-able, shipping = at least price of order and 2 week min form the time order is placed.

#24 ·
Sydneyknits, I can understand your frustration and while what I'm about to say is going to echo what others have already said (thanks StevenG), I'd like to just add to the numbers. The Spring/Summer is the most hectic for Dadant here in Florida. I personally have and will continue giving business to the High Springs branch. I'm not an adherent or anything but they've been pretty good. The words of warning/wisdom are best summarized

1) Paper trail - Faxing orders is the best way to order with any company that works primarily with commercial customers.
2) Quotes - try to get quotes on everything you buy, because you can sometimes get unlisted deals/prices.
3) Order in advance of need - make sure you have 3 weeks for things to go wrong and get fixed.

That's from a commercial perspective.

I've had some bad experiences with the High Springs branch, namely not having what I ordered. Problem originates with the front office over selling, it's a good problem for the seller but bad for the customers. Sometimes they will eyeball something on a shelf without knowing that it was already sold because of the hundreds of orders they've processed. They've admitting it's getting to be a problem and have been trying to sequester products in the back room. Example: I was pretty pissed that the gallon of Bee Quick I ordered from Dadant wasn't there when I did a pick up and had to be ordered in a rush from Rossman's.

#25 ·
I like the dadant frames. I tried the kelleys and amazingly, I can go to TN to the ag store and buy them and drive home cheaper than i can get them shipped from Kelleys. Where i am, they are BY FAR the highest for shipping, so I thought I'd try Dadant. I ordered expecting a week/2week delivery and thats what I got. Problem was that they sent me deep foundation. I called the main office on the website and they were as friendly as can be and told me since it shipped from Ill. that I would have to call that branch, so I did. I was still in no hurry and quite frankly in a great mood thanks to the main office so I called the other office. The lady who answered the phone was a very bad word. She blamed it on me ordering the wrong stuff and when I said ma'am, I am looking at the order here and comparing it to the website, and I ordered the right thing. It must be an internal mistake, no big deal, just please get the foundation to me when you can(still being nice at this point). She then replied and said, well, it looks like the main office screwed up the order when they faxed it over. I just laughed and needless to say was irritated at this point. I said, so they printed it and faxed it. She said yes sir, and I said, so, i have the same copy you do that is put into the box and she said yes sir....then she realized what she did. They had shipped it wrong from their office by mistake. No Big deal just send me the correct foundation. This lady blamed everyone and their brother except herself. It was pathetic to say the least. She said they would send me the correct foundation if I paid for shipping and I just laughed and told her to send an RMA and come get everything. Finally after talking to her supervisor, my foundation was sent to me via overnight. When i was done, I called the corporate office and gave them my opinion on the service of the branch, what happened and everyhting else. They sent me all kinds of freebies and my last order shipped very quickly. I wasn't after freebies, heck i didnt even want the deep foundation, I just wanted someone to say sorry, we'll get it to you. Not sure why she couldn't but she couldn't. After talking to the main office, I have not had a probelm since. I like their frames the best for me and their shipping has beat everyone so far since I dont want to drive to Tn. I will bend over backwards to help someone if I can, but since they treated me that way, I am cautious with them. I handled it and havent had a problem since as I stated above. I do order way before it becomes an emergency though.....

#26 ·
Well I decided to try dadant again and was not impressed. It took a week just to put 10 sticky boards in a box. If you are that busy hire more ppl. I have ordered from mann lake and the stuff was shipped in a couple days. I live in a rural area so order almost everything except food it seems online. Dadant is the slowest to ship I have ever used.

#27 · (Edited)
Devdog108, was it the frankfort ky branch???????
Dont ever call the dadant & Sons Inc in Frankfort ky, there is a girl there that answers the phone that knows nothing about beekeeping and she just answers the phone. She isnt affraid to pretty much tell ya either. The other day i called and wanted to order over $200 worth of equipment, i had given her the part number and the name and the amount...She kept cutting me off to do something else and kept saying she was sorry that they was busy...This went on 10 times but i never said a word. Then at the end i wanted to ask a question about the fume board, all i wanted was to replace the quilt...She said i dont know what a fume board is, i dont know much about beekeeping! So im in front of my computer looking the part number up so she can look at it and learn! She said is that it sir??? I said not yet im looking up the part number for you since u dont know nothing about beekeeping....OMG she said Sir i didnt say i didnt know anything about beekeeping...i said ok you dont know much about beekeeping and im trying to help...She said u know what sir, im not taking your order, your rude!!!! I thought what the heck???? Rude???? Here i am doing the work for this girl and she calls me rude and then...SHE HANGS UP ON ME!!!..Now im mad!!! I call the main office in Illinois i get told that my order wont be shipped for 2 weeks...I thought wow but atleast i didnt get hung up on and be called rude. What would anyone do in a situation like this???? I was very nice to the person and i didnt deserve that girls mouth and the way she went off i dont think anyone should deserve to be treated like that to be honest about it! All i know is i cancelled my order after thinking about it and thinking about it and i can say this,....I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM DADANT & SON'S INC AGAIN!!!!

#29 ·
My family and I have ordered from Walter T Kelley for decades now, and have never had any problems, always good service, products, etc. However, recently I thought I would give Dadant a try just to see. Won't do it again. I had no problems with shipping, but I ordered 50 frames, and they were shipped from the TX factory. Of those 50 frames, several parts are still laying around because they were too warped to even put together, and I had to remove several from the hives because they warped after I put them into use. Being a carpenter, I know that getting well cured wood is well nigh impossible, but it seems that they just used the wood as it came off the stack, and didn't give it time to cure in the shop, or didn't cull the bad pieces. Whatever happened, the quality control was poor, and I will go back to Kelley's for all future orders. That being said, unless I run out of time, all of my woodenware will be made by me in my shop. That way, I can't gripe at anyone but myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.