Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dandant-evaluation of service

I normally purchase elsewhere and figured i would give Dandant a try. I found the item #b52601, 8 frame complete hive with metal frame rest. I ordered. I received the book I ordered and the tele cover ONLY. I waited two days and the hive body and frames NEVER came. Then I called Dandant, who checked the shipping weights and sent the missing hive body, inner cover and frames but no frame rest. When I just called to have them send the metal frame rest, I was told they don't even make a metal frame rest for an 8-frame, and was offered NO SOLUTION. when i spoke to a manager I was told "we don't have that, we don't make it, I don't do the website or description". when i told them they would never get my business again they didn't even care.

Default Re: Dandant-poor service

They do that to enough people and they will start to care.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

I guess I'll be using their catalog as smoker fuel now

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneyknits View Post
    I guess I'll be using their catalog as smoker fuel now
    That was funny!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Cool Re: Dandant-poor service

I wasn't tickled with the picking and shipping on an order recently either. I live about two hours from the office in Paris, TX, but they still pulled from the IL warehouse anyway.
    I ordered the budget domed smoker, ten wood frames unassembled, 10 perco frames, a queen excluder and some nit noids. It came in two separate boxes on two separate days. It was missing the smoker though. When I called, it was backordered with no idea when it was gonna show.

To the girls credit, she said it was her first day on the job and was needing help to do everything. I don't think the service is on purpose, I just think they are in a training mode. I'll be back for one more try as I'm neutral at the moment. I can't praise them for anything but so so or less than good service. Well, the girl sounded really cute, but that would be off topic. She probably looks like a,...nevermind. They get a 4 outta 10 from me.

Dadant. I ordered some stuff from the Souix City office via email thursday evening since I had moved & had a new address. They called back Friday morning. I have a bunch of woodware to work on, sitting on my porch this AM.
    Not my entire order, but it was what I really needed most: Bottoms, tops & lures. We'll see about the rest of my order. They have always had good service with me, and I'm 80 miles east of Pueblo, so I can't shop for much of anything locally, unless I go to Walmart.

I don't think you can please everybody, every time.

I just call Dadant in High Springs, FL. If they have they will ship it to you, If they dont have it they will get it and ship it to you. I like to deal with at the local level, it is easier and less stress than the corporate/main office.
    steve
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I am a new beekeeper and ordered some stuff from them twice and mann lake once. Both dadant shipments took forever just to leave the warehouse. it was up to two weeks to get my orders. Mann lake was way faster. Maybe places like amazon spoil us but I expect standard items to ship within a couple days at most.

Default Re: Dandant-evaluation of service

A lot of people have complained about time to delivery for dadant orders off of their internet site.

Many have suggested that orders be placed on the phone to your local dadant, and you will get much more prompt service.

So if I use dadant again, I will either drive to the local affiliate, or call and place an order directly with them.

I had no issue with the timing of shipment and would not have even cared about the initial mix up. My two issues are: an itemized description on the website and the product that doesn't even have one of the items as their website stated and had visual representation that they had, secondly thatthey offered no solution to the problem (alternative product, credit etc)

I would have just said to send me the 10 frame size. All of the ones that I have ever had were very soft metal. I would bet I could cut them to size with an old pair of scissors.

Yep, that's what I did, bought the 10 frame rests and cut them with cheap sissors. I pick up from the Ky store to save shipping. I tried to get 8 frame rests (figured they had it since it was part of the complete 8 frame hive set), even told them that they were advertising that they had it because it came with the complete 8 frame set and showed them in the catalog. .....of course they didn't have it....just bought the 10s and cut them.

They should at least send you a couple of 10s to cut.

On all my pickup orders, with both them and Kelley's, they've been great companies to buy from. I just don't order during the busy season.

Dadant. I said earlier today that I didnt get my entire order. That was wrong. When I got back home this PM, UPS had been back by and left my last box.... So I did get all of my order w/in 3 days.

When I first started beekeeping in 2008, I tried to order equipment by phone from the Virginia location and the woman who answered the phone tried to discourage me from beekeeping -- even though I had taken a six week course at a community college. I was pretty ticked off at that to say the least and ordered from the Kentucky location which gave me good service. For some reason I then started ordering from Dadant online which was not satisfactory. This year I called the Virginia location again, got a amiable rep. and received my order in 3 days. Much better experience than online. Do not understand though why individual stores cannot maintain their own online sites for ordering.

To sum up, my experience with Dadant is that -- to paraphrase --they are like the little girl who had a little curl right in middle of her forehead, when they are good, they are very, very good and when they are bad they are horrid.

Well I guess I'm like so many others. Thought I'd try Dadant .Ordered on 4/29. On5/10 called, they said it had not been shipped yet, ok I thought, maybe busy. Called 5/17, still not shipped. Called today 5/24, still not shipped. Told them to forget it, I,d order elsewhere. I had ordered from Paris, Tx. because I' m in Ms. She told me part of the order would come from Ohio, makes a lot of sense to me. Anyway when I got home this afternoon, guess what?????, part of order was there. They can cram the rest. On a better note, got a call from a buddy about a swarm on a low branch on the way home. Boxed it, hived it, feel better. As Sydneyknits said, thier catalog will make good smoker fuel. That's all I have to say abuot that.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-24-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: profanity

When I order from Dadant, I order from their Hamilton, IL home office. Always by telephone, and folks there are very friendly and helpful... I've never had any problem. I wonder how many of the branches are actually owned by Dadant, or are simply licensed vendors? That would make a very big difference, I would think.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

On May 2, I ordered all of my equipment from Dadant- suit/veil, gloves, smoker, hive tool, etc, etc. Being a new beek, I needed almost everything. When I still didn’t hear anything by the 13th, I called. The order still hadn’t been shipped. The only explanation was that they “were working on overtime”. No apology, no sense of concern. Essentially, no customer service. Since I was to pick up my already ordered nuc in two days, I had to go to a local supply house (where prices are significantly higher, but customer service is fairly good) and get at minimum a veil (which is fine, as my kids will end up using it). Almost a week later, I got a partial shipment (smoker and tool). I still haven’t heard one word and I’m STILL waiting for the rest of my shipment.

My biggest complaint is the lack of communication. Even when they did ship my partial order I never received so much as an e-mail confirmation or “thanks for your order”.

With the current economic situation, you would think businesses would realize they need to be promoting customer service if they want to stay in business. I understand my $200 order likely isn’t big for them. But what they don’t seem to realize is that my intent is not to stay small forever. The fact that others have had the same lack of service only further solidifies my decision to never, ever place another order from them again.

Okay, I feel much better now….

Go P/U at the local branch. Or order in January.

Kingfisher

I have been ordering from Dadant for over 20 years. No problems.

Wink Re: Dandant-evaluation of service

Never had an issue with Dandant, Kelley or Maxant.
    I've only every ordered metal goods and small odds & ends from Dadant for the the past 10 years. There shipping prices are higher then Kelley for me, but then again so is the quality of there metal goods. Dadant's wood-ware on the other hand is trash compared to Kelley.
    There customer service is not as good as Kelley or Maxant but I wouldn't say its poor for the SIZE of the company or inventory they carry.

Sydneyknits was that an up to date catalog you ordered from? Unlike Kelley they will send out new catalog right away if you request one. Do you call in your order . Email, fax, or website for record sake. Make THEM send you a quote back before you order especially if it's is your first time ordering from a company.
    “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast